Blue or Splash??

Blue and Self Blue (lavender) are 2 separate genes and should not be mixed, nor can you get lavender from a blue chicken.
self blue can be breed to lavender and black splits (blacks that come from a lavender breeding)
Blue is breed to black, blue and splash.

Blue and Self Blue (lavender) are 2 separate genes and should not be mixed, nor can you get lavender from a blue chicken.
self blue can be breed to lavender and black splits (blacks that come from a lavender breeding)
Blue is breed to black, blue and splash.
So I shouldn’t breed a lavender and a blue? What happens if you do?

also, mine pictured above, blue or self blue?

what can lavenders be bred with, if not blues?

and if self blue = lavender, were lavenders just a genetic coincidence? Thanks for the help!!

Sorry something went wrong when I tried to reply. Self blue and blue are genetically different. Your chicken blue not lavender. You don’t want to breed blue and self blue together because when someone wants to breed the offspring together it can mess up their pen genetically such if they are using self blue to make porcelain, if the bird is blue and not self blue it doesn’t delute to make proper porcelain color.
I’m sorry I’m not sure how to explain it except they are 2 different color.

Sorry something went wrong when I tried to reply. Self blue and blue are genetically different. Your chicken blue not lavender. You don’t want to breed blue and self blue together because when someone wants to breed the offspring together it can mess up their pen genetically such if they are using self blue to make porcelain, if the bird is blue and not self blue it doesn’t delute to make proper porcelain color.
I’m sorry I’m not sure how to explain it except they are 2 different color.
Just worried because I do have blues, blacks and lavenders in my flock.

So, only breed my blues to blues or blacks. Correct?

Blacks can breed with any colour?

lavenders can breed with other lavenders OR blacks but NOT blue.

Am I getting this right? Lol sorry for the confusion n thanks heaps for the help.. here are some of my flock..

Attachments

• D0D80804-A366-40AC-AC1E-D414401F1C04.jpeg
    D0D80804-A366-40AC-AC1E-D414401F1C04.jpeg
    399.5 KB · Views: 8
  • C83D7000-6720-4C8F-864B-416F25E04D08.jpeg
    C83D7000-6720-4C8F-864B-416F25E04D08.jpeg
    487.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 37C0A3B0-FB7E-457C-A515-0560454FA61A.jpeg
    37C0A3B0-FB7E-457C-A515-0560454FA61A.jpeg
    465.5 KB · Views: 8
The American poultry standard describes them as different colors. And when mixed your blues won’t look correct and your lavenders won’t look correct. I would find out if the black comes from blue, black, splash breeding or black lavender breeding from the person you bought them from. Hopefully the breeder is experienced and can give you more in the color genetics of your birds.
It’s hard to tell from the pictures but the blue seems to have the lace(darker on edge) required for blue where self blue is an even shade of pastel blue that’s feathers have almost a different sheen to them that is hard to capture in photography. Mixing the 2 you would lose these qualities that represent the variety as it’s called for in the SOP. If you use the search at the top type in blue vs self blue and you should find a lot of explanations and reasons breeders keep them separate.

Back
Top Bottom