Blue Orpington at 8, 14 & 18 weeks

voissems

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2016
I'm pretty sure my would-be pullet is actually a cockerel, but I'm posting with progress pics for comparison to get help identifying earlier signs... or maybe it was obvious all along & I was just in denial ;)
8 weeks

14 weeks

18 weeks

Is this bird from a hatchery? He doesn't have a proper Orpington comb and in the last picture he is showing gold and other color leakage that wasn't present in the earlier photos. I am thinking he is either hatchery quality OR an Orpington mix.

More people will be answering you once they see your post.

Actually from a breeder who will thankfully exchange since I can't keep a Roo. The color leakage did surprise me as there was no sign of it until about 12 weeks. I suspected Roo early on with body language, but kept hoping because the comb size was not that big...but then it turned red. I know the breeder keeps a few other breeds separate from her Orps, so maybe an accidental mix would explain the oddball characteristics?

My Orpington boys have larger combs and wattles than your bird in the photo at 14 weeks, and they are only 6 weeks old. I'd say girl but I'm no expert. Just comparing it to my little rascals. I rather like her 'leakage' - gold and blue look so pretty together.

The comb is confusing me. I believe the breeder also keeps brahmas & wonder if that would be a mix to explain the irregularities?

I'm not showing or breeding, so the pretty colors are fine for my flock of layers, but I know it's not "correct". Of course the flashy colors are another point toward rooster along with the way the saddle & tail feathers are shaping up. Here's a couple more pics:

Last edited:
Defiantly a cockerel. Very likely a Brahma mix, going by the pea comb and you can see a little shank feathering on him as well.

My Orpington boys have larger combs and wattles than your bird in the photo at 14 weeks, and they are only 6 weeks old. I'd say girl but I'm no expert. Just comparing it to my little rascals. I rather like her 'leakage' - gold and blue look so pretty together.
Are yours English Orpingtons, or from a hatchery? Could explain the faster maturing if they are hatchery birds.

That's what I thought which makes me sad since I like his goofy personality, but that could change once he's mature & I can't keep him either way...sigh :(

Are yours English Orpingtons, or from a hatchery? Could explain the faster maturing if they are hatchery birds.

I'm in New Zealand so no hatcheries here, just breeders. Other than the poultry industry importing eggs no poultry imports are allowed so the birds we have here are very isolated stock. We got ours from a breeder that keeps mixed coloured pens as my Mum has had two blue Orpingtons die at very young ages so we wanted some birds that are in no way inbred. I woke up to sprouting wattles when they were 19 days old! We went back to the breeder to get a couple more blues as Mum really wants a blue. One of the new ones is a girl - our other four blues are boys (isn't it always the way).

Back
Top Bottom