Blue orpington breeding

liv4fun

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 22, 2011
North Alabama
I am breeding several types of orpingtons and wanting to try to get a coop full of the blue orpingtons.

I have a blue rooster and hen, and a splash hen in one coop.

what is the best way to get best blues???

i was told to put a black rooster in with them?

any input would help...

Black X Blue = 50% Black, 50% Blue
Blue X Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash
Blue X Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
Splash X Splash = 100% Splash
Black X Splash = 100% Blue

Quote:
I spoke to Tom Kernan at the Crossroads Show here in Indy. Tom has some of the nicest laced Blue Sumatras. And how he made his Blues is the same way I want to build a nice laced Blue. Breed your 2 Blues to each other. Goal is to get a Black male from that breeding. Then the next year you take your Black male from the Blue to Blue breeding to your Blue hen. This will after 2 generations of using that Black male back to your best Blue pullets/hens will give you the lacing you want. This is a 5 generation plan. Again to repeat first generation Blue to Blue to get a great Black male then use that male 2 seasons in a row selecting for the best type Blues then you should have the lacing for Blue to Blue breeding for the final 3 generations. Hope this makes sense.

Quote:
I spoke to Tom Kernan at the Crossroads Show here in Indy. Tom has some of the nicest laced Blue Sumatras. And how he made his Blues is the same way I want to build a nice laced Blue. Breed your 2 Blues to each other. Goal is to get a Black male from that breeding. Then the next year you take your Black male from the Blue to Blue breeding to your Blue hen. This will after 2 generations of using that Black male back to your best Blue pullets/hens will give you the lacing you want. This is a 5 generation plan. Again to repeat first generation Blue to Blue to get a great Black male then use that male 2 seasons in a row selecting for the best type Blues then you should have the lacing for Blue to Blue breeding for the final 3 generations. Hope this makes sense.

you pretty much answered your own question, to get all blues put black over splash. as for the getting the best, why dont you just start with the best you can get? why breed 5 generations to get good lacing? why not start with birds that have good lacing and come from good lacing. if they are nice typey birds to begin with you should not have to work very hard at getting nicely laced blue orps.

i have been trying to find some good blues in alabama and havnt found any. if someone could point me in the right direction
i would be greatful..

Quote:

Does anyone know the reason for using a black that resulted from a bluexblue breeding as opposed to a different black? I've heard those were better to use than a "pure" black that doesn't have lavender or blue in it's background and I'm just trying to figure out why since both blacks won't have the blue gene anyway.

Quote:

Does anyone know the reason for using a black that resulted from a bluexblue breeding as opposed to a different black? I've heard those were better to use than a "pure" black that doesn't have lavender or blue in it's background and I'm just trying to figure out why since both blacks won't have the blue gene anyway.

Tom Kernan knows. He wins shows at APA events. I listen to EXHIBTION breeders who win.

Quote:

Tom Kernan knows. He wins shows at APA events. I listen to EXHIBTION breeders who win.

If I ever get a chance to talk to him I will ask him then. Chances are close to never though unless he goes to shows in south or central Texas. I know who you mean and I know that he knows his stuff. Just curious if anyone knew the why of it, or if it's "just so." Sometimes it's just so, just is, no one really knows the answer.

Edit to add: Reason I ask is that I have blue pullets and a black roo who is the result of breeding black to black that I planned to use for them. Currently don't have the option of using a black that came from 2 blues.

Last edited:
Quote:

If I ever get a chance to talk to him I will ask him then. Chances are close to never though unless he goes to shows in south or central Texas. I know who you mean and I know that he knows his stuff. Just curious if anyone knew the why of it, or if it's "just so." Sometimes it's just so, just is, no one really knows the answer.

Edit to add: Reason I ask is that I have blue pullets and a black roo who is the result of breeding black to black that I planned to use for them. Currently don't have the option of using a black that came from 2 blues.

There are many here who can help you out by getting you a nice Blue male. I know Julie has one available. And she posted it a few days ago he is looking for a new home. She lives in ALABAMA. To get what you need it may be worth the trip.

Back
Top Bottom