blue Orpington hen and would like to understand lacing better new pics

tberggren

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 20, 2008
Ithaca NY
I have a blue Orpington hen
I would like to understand what I am supposed to be seeing.
If you could please explain what you see here (both good and bad) it might help. Also if you have a good representation of blue lacing I would love to see it. Thanks so much for your help.

5874_blue_girl_3-14-09.jpg

5874_blue_girl_c_3-17-09.jpg

Hopefully these new pictures will help

Last edited:
This is an example of what I consider one of my better laced blue plymouth rocks. I also have some blue rocks that have little or no lacing.

346107642.jpg

I'm not so sure your bird is bad, but the pic is not good which makes it hard to evaluate her. It doesn't show her color very well. Maybe a better pic would help get some insight on her coloring.

The lacing is the darker edge around each feather.

Quote:
If you could post a picture of one with little or no lacing as a comparison that would help me ALOT.
smile.png

In the meantime I will try to get a picture of my girl in natural light, I think that will show her true colors better.

A laced feather has a thin edging around the entire feather in a contrasting colour. Most commonly lacing is black. If you scroll about halfway down through http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/mutations1.html you'll find several photos of nicely laced birds. A bit further on you'll see a table of four drawings and associated alleles for lacing. The drawing on the bottom right is what you want to strive for.

Back
Top Bottom