Blue Orpington

Hello Everyone,

I just hatched B,B,S orpington chicks. I know that I have some splash and some black, but I'm not sure about the blue. Several of the black chicks are starting to get a couple of white wing feathers. They are only 1 week old, but I'm hoping that out of 9 hatched chicks I didn't just get splash and black. Does anyone know how to tell if a chick will be blue or not? I probably just have to wait and see. If I don't end up with any at least I have enough black and splash chicks I should be able to hatch some blue chicks next year.

I'm not sure if you can see that buff colored chick to the right? What color will that chick end up being? It's color is buff with brown strips down the sides of it's back. Very different than the others. I appreciate any guess or information that might help me determine colors. I know that they are hard to see, but they are really cute.

Does anyone have any input on the chicks posted above? I was going to ask essentially the same question - is there a clear color difference between black, blue, and splash? Researching pictures on the web it seemed like the back were mostly black, the blues were a balance between the light and black, and the splash were the light lavendar looking chicks. Is there any truth to this?

Thank you for looking at my pics. They have feathered out now. The one with brown on it ended up being a different breed all together. It was an extra. I thought the light colored ones would be splash, but they have turned out blue. The other dark colored ones are black. I did not end up with any splash. It was interesting to see how their feathers changed over the last 6-8 weeks. I still have a couple of blacks that are almost completely feathered out and still have white in their wings and on breast feathers. If that white doesn't go away than they may end up bring splash after all. I need to take photos of them now to show the difference.

Can't wait to see the photo and satisfy my curiousity! Looking at other photos, the Splash seem to start out very light - almost white in some cases. What were the colors of the parents? (Or did I miss that from an earlier post?)

I don't have photos of parents. I purchased the hatching eggs from Duck Horstman. My chicks are really pretty. I ended up with 3 Roos and 5 hens. The lite brown chick had to be put down. It hurt its leg when it was 2 days old. I was hoping it would correct itself, but it got harder for it to walk. I will try and get photos today and let you see the differences. The black chicks with the white on its chest are interesting.

Back
Top Bottom