Blue palm?

I'd say it's a 50/50 it might be it's just the black coloration it more gray than normal imo.
royal-palm-hen.jpg

These are what hens normally look like.
These are what the the really young chicks look like.
1688124448212.png
Are they yours? If not, you should say that they aren't and provide the link where you found the image.

He has been missing for long spells at a time. Have you checked his website?

TURKEY COLOR GENETICS
Yes I visit it and Porter's site frequently. I am getting quite the education on turkey genetics. Right now the blue poult looks like a blue palm to me. As she molts out the rest of her juvenile plumage it will become more clear as to what she is for certain.

Since the flock of sweetgrass and fall fires my birds came from have thrown palms I realize that my male sweetgrass jakes will have a high likelihood of being split to Narragansett. I will single mate them to sweetgrass hens and if they throw palm I will know for sure and we will harvest those males.

A friend gave me a slate jake the other day and hopefully I can put him over a sweetgrass hen and use him to breed some sweetgrass that are free from the Narragansett recessive gene. The first generation will be tri colored mottled slates/blacks. Then a tri colored mottled slate bred to a sweetgrass hen will throw a percentage of sweetgrass and blue sweetgrass. From there I will hopefully get some sweetgrass males that are free from Narragansett. I could skip reinventing the wheel and just try to find a sweetgrass male from a pure line but I like a project.

I currently have a tri colored mottled slate poult (jake) but his mother was a royal palm and he is split to Narragansett so we will grow him out and harvest him.

Sorry for the long winded post. Lol

Last edited:
I have some royal palms and this one is not the normal black and white palm coloration. The group of poults came from a Fall Fire and Sweetgrass flock so royal palms, whether normal or blue wasn't what I was expecting. However, I like palms so I'm okay with it. Here is a semi penciled palm jenny that came from the same group.

I suspect Narragansett genes in the woodpile. But I can work with them. I have a lot if nice birds in the group and I enjoy them. The little blue and white one was stumping me is all.

Thank you for your response. 😊
She is lovely! Do you have recent pics of her colors now?
Following because I’m very interested in color genetics for turkeys. I have an RP tom that bred with a Narr hen and produced RPs and Narrs of both sexes, so we have some split in there, likely in the hen. The lady I got her from said she was a male “Blue/Bronze mix” which doesn’t exist. I’ve had to play around with the calculator to determine how those crosses can happen.
I bought a Sweetgrass and a Blue Calico hen this summer to add colors in and reserved a Narr hen and jake from the hatches for breeding. I wanted to phase out the Narr colors, but they have really been the best ones for small homesteads like mine, hardy with broody girls and tasty boys 😆

@Bolfreak

Thank you! I named her Ghost. This is her a couple of months ago. She is a boss hen now and she struts. I've been told she likely is a blue sweetgrass with a dose of white. I am pairing her with my Harvest Gold tom in the spring. 😁

20230915_172222.jpg
Screenshot_20231211_160227_BackYard Chickens.jpg

@Bolfreak

Thank you! I named her Ghost. This is her a couple of months ago. She is a boss hen now and she struts. I've been told she likely is a blue sweetgrass with a dose of white. I am pairing her with my Harvest Gold tom in the spring. 😁

View attachment 3703229View attachment 3703232
She truly is lovely! If she was the speckly juvenile then she lightened up a lot except for saddle and the bars on her tail. I also have Porter’s and turkey-color-gen open and play a lot. The hen sold to me as Blue Calico is identical to what TCG calls Lav Sw and no pics of BC hen. The lady I got them from said they came from Fall Fire Farm and a cached photo of a BC hen is also identical to the Lav Sw. So I’m a bit confused and the Lav Sw gives me less color combos than I wanted with either RP or Narr tom.
Pics are of TCG, Oct 22 photo the seller gave me and my two pics from a month ago 👇🏻 I’d love thoughts/opinions on what she really is 🤦‍♀️

Attachments

• IMG_6514.png
    IMG_6514.png
    685.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0262.jpeg
    IMG_0262.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6424.jpeg
    IMG_6424.jpeg
    725.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6425.jpeg
    IMG_6425.jpeg
    706.6 KB · Views: 5
She truly is lovely! If she was the speckly juvenile then she lightened up a lot except for saddle and the bars on her tail. I also have Porter’s and turkey-color-gen open and play a lot. The hen sold to me as Blue Calico is identical to what TCG calls Lav Sw and no pics of BC hen. The lady I got them from said they came from Fall Fire Farm and a cached photo of a BC hen is also identical to the Lav Sw. So I’m a bit confused and the Lav Sw gives me less color combos than I wanted with either RP or Narr tom.
Pics are of TCG, Oct 22 photo the seller gave me and my two pics from a month ago 👇🏻 I’d love thoughts/opinions on what she really is 🤦‍♀️
Oh if you meant the black speckled poult in the pics, she is a semi penciled palm. This is her more grown up. These pics are a couple months old but she hasn't changed much in color, just gotten bigger in size.

Screenshot_20231212_000037_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231211_235939_Gallery.jpg

She very much looks like the lavender sweetgrass stock photo from TCG. @austria89 is a turkey color genetics expert and may be able to help. She is a very lovely bird!! Wish I had her at my place! 🥰

Back
Top Bottom