1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue Slate Hen Head coloring?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by GerbilsOnToast, Feb 11, 2015.

1. GerbilsOnToast

GerbilsOnToast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    What colors are 'normal' for head coloring in Blue Slate turkeys? I have/have had Narrangansett, Narrangansett/Red and Blue/Red/Bronze... the Blue/Red/Bronze have a great variety of colors their heads go through, but one of the hen offspring from last year is all blue and I'm seeing something new since breeding season started - a pale but distinct emerald green. Mostly at the crown, one area I've seen half-way down her neck on the side. Her night-time (resting) color is normal. Is this a normal color for Blue Slate? She acts just fine, (actually incredibly amorous) eats well, etc. Just do NOT want to lose her, and since it's something 'new', I'm panicking. Would anyone care to set my mind at ease? please! LOL

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Do you have a picture of it?

3. GerbilsOnToast

GerbilsOnToast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Not yet - we've been in the '"two warm days! quick! get stuff done" mode, and I really thought I'd find adequate pics online to confirm it. No so! Found one sort of green, but too distant to be sure. I'm used to looking at this lady from really close-up, LOL Will try to remember camera tomorrow morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by