Blue Spangled Birds, Imposisibility?

nicalandia

Free Ranging
14 Years
Jul 16, 2009
Stuck In a Dream
My Coop
My Coop
This Thread will be the Continuity of below thread, but will be dedicated just for this, to discuss the ideas on how to go about creating a bird with Blue grown color with black spangling..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/post.php?tid=556111&qid=7156325

this is the first quote of the above link and a a few answers taken from that thread

Quote:
Quote:
of all of us Tim and Saladin believed this was possible

Quote:
Quote:
pics on following post....

Quote:

so Blue does NOT Change black pigment to genes Melanotic(MI) or lacing in Extended Black background

here a few birds with melanotic Only, you cant see faint lacing but this is natural on blue birds
BlueandBlack-1.jpg

collo_nudo_transilvania_m.jpg

and here comes Melanotic and Lacing birds

next post...

Now, I've seen someone go about trying to make a black laced blue, and, true Andalusians do indeed have a nice black lacing, so I'm curious if the following may work?

E^R/E^R, Co/Co, Ml/Ml, Bl/bl+

Or, and I'm sure it was mentioned, but sans the Pg/Pg -

E/E, Co/Co, Db/Db, Ml/Ml, Bl/bl+

All normal spangled birds don't have the Pattern gene, someone explain why it is needed?

Quote:
that should give you an all black bird if we go by henks calculator but I don't believe this is allways the case..

Quote:
that could work

Quote:
Spangled bird do have Pg in them, its actually linked to the Ml gene..

OK, so now the question arises: what choice of breeds would one make to take the first step to an eventual blue spangled bird, and what would be the criterion for culling F1 birds? Say one has a well-marked SSH, what would be the breed of choice for hens for the first cross? What would be the breeding if you start with any Andalusian-source blue? It would be nice to be able to mix free-floating alleles, but since we're mere chicken-raisers and not working with Lex Luthor's laboratory, where do we start?

Last edited:
Quote:
as stated above Blue can't affect Melanotic, Pg on Extended Black background so this will be the start,

if you could get your hand in birds with below pic quality that will be a great start
azules202010200202.jpg

Back
Top Bottom