Blue Splash Maran x Black French Copper Maran = Blue Maran ?

Quote:
If you only have a Splash Marans and a Black Copper then Splash has to be a Splash Cuckoo and the Splash has to be the mother....Cuckoo females can only pass along the barring/cuckoo gene to her male offspring....hence you have a bird that got the barring gene from his mother and the gold leakage is from the the Black Copper. He is blue because when a Splash bird is crossed to a Black bird all the of the offspring will be blue.
Sometimes it is very hard to discern a Splash Cuckoo from a Splash.

Hope this helps.

Do you have photos of the parents?

I agree. The splash mom was hiding cuckoo, and the gold neck is from the black copper dad. Neat!

Quote:
No..

He is just Golden as in having one copy of Incomplete Dominant Sex Link Silver(S) and one copy of recessive sex linked gold(s+) so that makes him Golden(S/s+) and he is cuckoo also...

OK, any ideas on him? I don't think he's blue copper because his hackles are blondish, not copperish. I hatched him from eggs that had solid BBS and Black Copper Marans in the pen. Not sure of who the roo's were vs the hens.

22465_blue_marans_roo2.jpg

22465_blue_marans_roo.jpg

He looks to be a Blue Birchen, again he carries a copy for one silver gene, and one gold gene, hence the two colors showing up. My guess anyway.
smile.png

Whoops, lost part of my message!

I have not heard of blue golden. I'm assuming the silver is what is preferred in the Birchen? I have not worked with birchen before.

Besides this guy, I have a splash hen, a black hen and a black copper hen. Using those hens, what would be the best way for me go go using him to get a pure variety? Or should I pass on him for a breeder?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom