1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue splash marans

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blueberrychickens, Dec 4, 2011.

1. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    I just ordered some blue splash marans babies from MPC as I want to have some chocolate eggs in my basket. But now after a little more research, I notice that Marans have feathered legs/feet, is this true for all Marans?? I wasn't really looking for feathered legs/feet, but it would be cool if they do have them! Any input is appreciated!!
    Thanks!!

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    I dont think they all do but im not sure. I ordered from their recently too!!

3. blueberrychickens

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    anyone else???

4. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    The breed isnt supposed to have feathered legs. Google it and you will see.

5. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Yes marans have a line of feathers down their legs into a toe. However, the amount of feathering ranges from heavy to nonexistent. You would have to read/interpret the SOP to determine the desired correct amount. We have birds with none to heavy. The ideal is to breed those with heavy to those with little and come up with a happy medium. I think it's one of those traits the breed is working on.
    You do realize that when you breed splash to splash , you will not necessarily end up with splash?

6. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    they'reHISchickens :

Yes marans have a line of feathers down their legs into a toe. However, the amount of feathering ranges from heavy to nonexistent. You would have to read/interpret the SOP to determine the desired correct amount. We have birds with none to heavy. The ideal is to breed those with heavy to those with little and come up with a happy medium. I think it's one of those traits the breed is working on.
    You do realize that when you breed splash to splash , you will not necessarily end up with splash?

The last sentence in your statement is false. Splash to splash always yields splash. The Andalusian blue works as follows:
    Black x Splash = 100% blue
    Black x Blue = 50% black, 50% blue
    Blue x Blue = 25% black, 50% Blue, 25% splash
    Blue x Splash = 50% Blue, 50% splash
    Splash x Splash = 100% splash​

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:You will not get the eggs you think. They will not be chocolate or any where near that color. You will get more like any Orp egg.

8. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I ordered hatching eggs from them earlier this year.
    Some were born with feather legs, some without.
    Marans are a very hot topic right now, and just because they are Marans, doesn't mean they will be true show quality.
    I have also noticed that my splash girl lays a very poor color brown. The Black Copper usually has a darker color egg.
    But you will learn alot if you keep up on the Marans threads!

9. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    That is what you will get from a hatchery. You will not get show birds from a hatchery. Their eggs have to be as dark or darker than these, to even be considered a Marans. These eggs were purchased at a show, I bought them from a gal that was showing her eggs at the Marans of USA table, that was 2 years ago. But just so you have a comparison. I also made the mistake of buying hatchery Marans, last winter, they stared laying and I got rid of everyone.
    [​IMG]

10. blueberrychickens

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    wow...those are some pretty dark eggs!!! I am now having 2nd thoughts on my whole order! I really wanted to get some amerucanas for blue eggs, something in the marans family to give me dark choc eggs & no white chickens.....I ordered a columbian wyandotte (hmmm....mostly a white chicken!), 2 blue splash marans & a barred rock. Maybe I should look into breeders in my area....I guess I have some time since the chicks won't be coming till May anyways.
    Thanks for all your input, much appreciated as always!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by