Blue Swedish for working dogs

CowgirlMama

Songster
12 Years
Feb 23, 2011
Baker City, Oregon
I recently got a stock dog pup, and was wondering if Blue Swedish ducks make good "learner" ducks to start working a herding dog on? I know Indian Runner ducks are what is typically used, but they are kinda hard to find here... I'd like to runner duck eggs to set under a hen that is going broody, but can't find any... however, someone local has 3 BS for sale.... Also- if you have 2 males and 1 female, will it cause problems with the males? Thanks! :)

You're right. They usually use Indian runners....... If you're willing to make the drive, I've got quite a few extra runner males I'll be getting rid of soon........ after they mature some more and I figure out which ones I want to keep.

Blue Swedish will herd just as well as Runners but they are big ducks and are not as fast or agile. It's not good for them to be made to run about a lot as you are likely to get leg injuries. So I'd seek out some more athletic ducks. Campbells would be fine or any light duck with a relatively upright stance.

Good luck in your search :)

Thanks for your replies! I would love to get Runner Ducks, but would need to wait til next spring and order chicks from the feed store... I know I can order them online, but there is no way for me to get to the P.O. to pick them up (I live 20 miles from the nearest P.O. and we only have 1 working vehicle!). And my husband isn't totally sure yet that he wants ducks... Oh, and since my pup is 13 weeks old today, I kinda need something soon! :) I will definitely do some checking with people in the area- I know there is another gal looking for Runners, so maybe we could split an order or something... I just LOVE the color of the Blue Swedish, and since I have a 2 year old, like the fact that they are calm and docile. I'm thinking they'd be ok to start a young dog on that's just learning, but as she gets older, I'd probably want the Runners. Oh- and I'd like to have something that more of a layer so we can eat the eggs, or I can sell them :)

Oh- a couple other questions: Can ducks be kept with chickens? Do Runner ducks free range well (I know the Blues do)? Will either the runners or Blues go broody much? I had one other one, but its slipped my mind at the moment... When I think of it, I'll post it! Thanks again! :)

Yes you can incubate duck eggs in a normal incubator.

If you want egg production and calmer bird seriously look at the Kahki Campbell's. They lay extremely well, are a calmer duck and herd and move just as well a a runner.

You can house them together, but ducks like water and chickens not so much. Also ducks don't sleep the night through like the chickens do. A house as a simple as a dog house with a secure door will house ducks easily.

You say you like the color of blue Swedish, however please take the advice given about NoT using them for herding (even with a young dog) you don't want to be heart broken over leg injuries and having to put injured ducks down and be left with injured birds you can't use.

Thank you for all the advice! I will look into Dunlap... however, I can't afford to drive to Caldwell right now, and we only have one rig at the moment! :) I have had someone offer to ship me some Runner Duck eggs...

CelticOaks- I will check in the Kahkis... I took a look at your website- they are pretty birds! :) Do they make very good meat birds? I'm just curious! :) Thanks again! :)

Thanks for your replies! I would love to get Runner Ducks, but would need to wait til next spring and order chicks from the feed store... I know I can order them online, but there is no way for me to get to the P.O. to pick them up (I live 20 miles from the nearest P.O. and we only have 1 working vehicle!). And my husband isn't totally sure yet that he wants ducks... Oh, and since my pup is 13 weeks old today, I kinda need something soon! :) I will definitely do some checking with people in the area- I know there is another gal looking for Runners, so maybe we could split an order or something... I just LOVE the color of the Blue Swedish, and since I have a 2 year old, like the fact that they are calm and docile. I'm thinking they'd be ok to start a young dog on that's just learning, but as she gets older, I'd probably want the Runners. Oh- and I'd like to have something that more of a layer so we can eat the eggs, or I can sell them :)

Oh- a couple other questions: Can ducks be kept with chickens? Do Runner ducks free range well (I know the Blues do)? Will either the runners or Blues go broody much? I had one other one, but its slipped my mind at the moment... When I think of it, I'll post it! Thanks again! :)
I have 2 Indian Runners that are about 2 weeks old. I got them from Metzer farms out of San Fran and they were very nice and helpful. The birds arrived alive and well (of course that's easier when you just order 2) Splitting an order with someone or going local will be your best bet, and ducks always come cheaper the more you order. I do agree with CeticOaksFarm about the Blues, they will not be good herders though they are very pretty. I live in Boise, and Dunlap was my first choice since they are only about 40 mins. away but they only hatch through mid- June. The Khakis sound like a good choice for you, but I have to plug the Runners since they are sooo cute and hilarious to watch. Mine are extremely friendly, at least for now. I hear Runners are excellent layers, and I have kept ducks with my hens before. If you have a hen only flock, DO NOT keep drakes with them. Drakes will become sexually agressive with chicken hens as early as 3 months and they do not share the same mating behaviors or plumbing...drakes can seriously injure hens. Runners are good foragers and less destructive than heavy breeds because of their upright stance...ducks are generally better at foraging than chickens and they don't sratch plants up either. Do be wary of any wet, muddy areas as ducks DO love to happily dabble and drill holes in wet earth. Swimming water is not necessary, but your ducks will be MUCH MUCH happier with it, they love to preen and clean themselves in the water. Just use a plastic kiddie pool, you don't need to get fancy. Here is a pic of my setup:

This first one shows the chicken coop on the far right and the dog/duck house ont he left. The run is 10'wX20'l chainlink.

This pic is before I got the doghouse but it shows the pool at the end. Sorry if this is a novel, but I hope it helps. If you want more info and setup ideas check out the forum thread for "post all pictures of waterfowl houses birds etc." It's something like that and it has like over 100 pages, but there is lots of good info there. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom