Blue Swedish for working dogs

Khakis are a light weight, so they arent as big as the Silver appleyards for meat, but a couple of extra drakes are ok for roasting. We have SA and Khaki all about the same age who will be butchered soon along with some french white scovy. I will post comparisons of the three when we do butcher.

Thanks all! I know there is another gal here in Baker that is looking for Runner ducks... maybe I can split a shipment with her and get some Runners AND Kahkis! :) I do have a run that is attached to the hen house (and can be opened to it, or closed off) with a shelter inside that I've been using for my meat birds... I was hoping to use it as a dog kennel this winter, then as a garden next spring... but maybe I need to turn it into a duck pen for now...
lol.png
(if DH will approve the ducks- I'm bound and determined to get some... I just had to get a stock dog pup to get him to think about getting ducks!) Oh, and there's plenty of room for a kiddie pool in the run, but there's also a small creek down the hill to the east of our house, that I'm sure the ducks would love... :)

Are Runners or Kahkis very noisy or smelly?! I had a couple White Pekin ducks SEVERAL years ago and they were fairly quiet, but were STINKY!!!! My neighbor had Runners last year, and I don't remember them being any more smelly than my chickens...

We have 27 Khakis, 18 SA and then all the geese ect. Our Saturday customers always comment how it doesn't smell here and how you would never know there were so many different birds. :D we clean constantly though and make sure they all have plenty of space to spread out. Over crowding and not keeping up with cleaning will lead to smells.

Once again CelticOaksFarms hits it. The smells will be very minimal if you keep up with cleaning. Baby ducks are messier in my opinion because you have to keep them in the brooder instead of outside, but they sure are cute! I dunno about Pekins being any messier than Runners, I had a Pekin when I first got chicks back in March. I'm probably not the greatest person to ask, I've only ever had 1 or 2 ducks at the most so that is pretty manageable but I also have 5 hens. I don't know anything about butchering because I only keep ducks for eggs so idk which are the best for meat, but I hear most people use Pekins for that.

Back
Top Bottom