1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue verses black Silkies

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by silkiefluff, Feb 29, 2016.

1. silkiefluff

silkiefluff Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    NS, Canada
    I wasn't sure exactly where to put this, so sorry if it's in the wrong place.

For those breeding blue and/or black Silkies, how does one tell the difference between a dark blue chick and black chick? I've had a "black" chick, turn out to be a dark blue, and I was wondering if there was a way to tell if someone breeds B/B/S.

2. curious chickee

curious chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

All a blue chick is a diluted form of black when breeding B/B/S. So the dark ones are black and the dark grey are blue. I have a trio of chicks at hatch I had a dark blue, and two blacks. Now at 10 weeks the blue is only a shade lighter then the blacks.

3. silkiefluff

Aug 22, 2013
    NS, Canada
    I had a chick that was black last year, and turned out blue though. I was sure it was black, but it wasn't.

4. curious chickee

Sometimes you can't tell unless they are next to a black silkie, my blue boy I can't tell unless he is next to my black girls.

5. curious chickee

[​IMG]
    This is my blue boy about 12 weeks old

Here he is with black pullet

[​IMG]

6. silkiefluff

Aug 22, 2013
    NS, Canada
    Do you photos of them as chicks to compare?

This is one of my dark blue hens. Her clutch mate was black as a chick, and turned out lighter than her as an adult. I'll see if I can find a photo.
    [​IMG]

7. curious chickee

This is the only one I have

[​IMG]

8. curious chickee

the blue chick is in the middle.

9. silkiefluff

Aug 22, 2013
    NS, Canada
    Thanks. That looks so similar to me. :/ Nice vaulted heads!

10. curious chickee

Thanks, their heads are great, I picked the ones with the best heads, however their feet are not SOP which is why the breeder was not growing them out. I don't plan on showing them as I show brahmas. I just wanted the silkies for brooding and because they are cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by