Blue Wheaten Ameraucana? Pullet?

I think its too young to sex, but her toes can still be treated by making little boots for her feet. It's more than how they look, it's a health concern. She will most likely have pressure sores/abrasions, etc while walking on her ankle and knuckles.
Do you have any recommendations on which shoes? I tried cardboard with tape, and she gets out of everything including even duct tape :( I've tried medical tape wrapped around each toe but since they are twisted it doesn't help with the twisting. I've tried regular tape (not strong enough). Plastic shoes are too slippery, her feet slip back into sideways position. I'm going to have to go back to cardboard but I'm worried that it will be too hard on her to have to have the shoes put back on three or four times a day...oh well. I said I would do whatever it takes, if she's still young enough I'm going to go back and try it again...I just hope I'm not hurting her.

The most successful thing was cardboard shoes with little grooves cut in for the toes (kept them in the right position. The only tape that stays on is duct tape though, which I'm sure isn't good...

I'm thinking pullet, and this is a purebred Wheaten or Blue Wheaten. I'm thinking BW because s/he has so much light grey around where her tail starts..what do you think?

She is about 3-4 weeks old. Also has pretty bad case of crooked toes on both feet that turned up a week after hatch, I am giving her vitamins but she's just going to be a backyard baby so as long as she's fine with it, I'll live with it (if her toes don't straighten up).

Looks to me like a blue wheaten pullet. That is really odd about the toes going crooked after a week old. Hmmmm

How is she now?
Her feet are still terrible (and I think I will have to cut her nails on one foot because they turn up completely and never touch the ground), BUT she can perch fine, she is extremely friendly and smart and holds her own even though she is the smallest hen in my little flock and head hen tends to pick on her and one of the marans. She started laying beautiful blue eggs a couple of weeks ago. As a backyard baby she is working out just fine :) Here's a photo of her - I don't have a photo of her feet, but they never got any better. Doesn't seem to bother her though. She never developed a beard, so I have been told the feet are probably genetic since they developed ten days after hatch. But no one really knows what causes crooked toe specifically, it can be either incubation, flooring in the incubator or genetics. Flooring was not a problem, and incubation doesn't figure into it since her feet were fine for at least the first week. Vitamins didn't work,nor did shoes (I tried for over a month and no improvement). Luckily for me it doesn't matter as I'm not breeding. I'd rather that I get her as she has a good home with someone who doesn't mind her feet. I'm just glad that so far she's not having any problems. When she gets older I don't know what will happen, but this is what I've got so hopefully it won't mean a lot of health problems for her down the road.

Back
Top Bottom