Blue Wheaten Ameraucana? Pullet?

wahmommy

Songster
11 Years
Aug 14, 2010
I'm thinking pullet, and this is a purebred Wheaten or Blue Wheaten. I'm thinking BW because s/he has so much light grey around where her tail starts..what do you think?

She is about 3-4 weeks old. Also has pretty bad case of crooked toes on both feet that turned up a week after hatch, I am giving her vitamins but she's just going to be a backyard baby so as long as she's fine with it, I'll live with it (if her toes don't straighten up).

Pullet
thumbsup.gif
Too bad about her toes though
sad.png

I think its too young to sex, but her toes can still be treated by making little boots for her feet. It's more than how they look, it's a health concern. She will most likely have pressure sores/abrasions, etc while walking on her ankle and knuckles.

Last edited:
you sure she's pure? she doesn't have a beard and her legs look green instead of the slate color they should be. for her toes you really should make some boots to help streighten them. instructions for boots can be found here on byc

I purchased the eggs from a reputable breeder so I believe she is pure. Her legs are the right color but I was hoping she would get a beard when she gets all her feathers in... I have had her in several types of chick shoes since I discovered the problem at 10 days past hatch but she is a houdini and manages to get them off and her feet are still very crooked. Her feet were not crooked at hatch as I have photos from a couple of days after and her feet were fine. I spent a lot of time on these forums trying to find a solution and even PMed a bunch of people who had posted with similar problems and even called my vet who does put shoes on chickens and the general consensus was their feet often still ended up crooked and the would most likely be fine but don't breed them because its either a nutritional issue or genetics...it could also be low humidity but her feet were fine the first week. She is starting to get more resistant to putting the shoes on so I don't know if I'm hurting her at this point...

Last edited:
I just looked at a bunch of photos of wheaten ameraucanas at the same age and they look the same so I'm still hoping she'll get hers (not to say MamaRudley isn't correct but I can hope, right?) Also, still wondering wheaten or blue wheaten???

TIA!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom