Cockerel or Pullet? self-blue Ameraucana edition

RuffIedFeathers

Songster
Sep 12, 2022
SF Bay Area, California
I have 5 self-blue and 1 wheaten. I think the wheaten is a cockerel, the self-blues I'm unsure of. They each have a different color band; blue, green, pink, purple, and yellow. I would love any guesses/confirmation, please! ETA: They are about 12 weeks old.

Attachments

• blue1.jpg
    blue1.jpg
    778.6 KB · Views: 45
  • blue2.jpg
    blue2.jpg
    786.9 KB · Views: 20
  • green1.jpg
    green1.jpg
    710.8 KB · Views: 20
  • green2.jpg
    green2.jpg
    728.5 KB · Views: 21
  • green3.jpg
    green3.jpg
    916.4 KB · Views: 20
  • green4.jpg
    green4.jpg
    628.8 KB · Views: 21
  • pink1.jpg
    pink1.jpg
    974.3 KB · Views: 18
  • purple1.jpg
    purple1.jpg
    762.1 KB · Views: 19
  • wheaten1.jpg
    wheaten1.jpg
    658.8 KB · Views: 15
  • yellow1.jpg
    yellow1.jpg
    704.7 KB · Views: 16
  • yellow2.jpg
    yellow2.jpg
    812.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Wow, I feel dumb. Looks like I have a LOT to learn about this breed. I thought I was seeing saddle feathers and assumed he (she) would darken with age. Thanks for helping me! So are the longer saddle feathers on see on some of the lavenders definitely not an indication of them being a cockerel? Thank you.

All chickens have saddle feathers, it's whether or not they are pointed.
EE type breeds do tend to have drooping feathers there, but as long as they are rounded it's a pullet.

I agree with the others btw

Wow, I feel dumb. Looks like I have a LOT to learn about this breed. I thought I was seeing saddle feathers and assumed he (she) would darken with age. Thanks for helping me! So are the longer saddle feathers on see on some of the lavenders definitely not an indication of them being a cockerel? Thank you.
Your wheaten is 100% a pullet because wheaten coloring is sexually dimorphic, so the males would look very different when first feathering in! 12 weeks is around the time males would be getting their pointy skinny saddle feathers in but so far I’m not seeing that on your lavenders, I also went by their pretty small and pale combs. I would just watch for any pointy skinny ones coming in the next few weeks, Ameraucanas can be slower maturing but so far I’m seeing pullets.

Back
Top Bottom