Blue Laced Red Wyandotte?

KyloChicken

Chirping
Oct 7, 2023
Hi chicken friends,

Please join me on this little adventure! I got 6 blue laced red Wyandotte chicks as friends to my 2 self hatched (probably Brahma) chicks. I bought them from the feed store as straight run Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. Looking at these little guys they all seem to be lacking blue coloration. Does that color come in later in life, or did I end up with 6 black chicks? Any help and guesses are welcome! Also if you have any guesses on the sex ratio, feel free to share! 😁I’ll update this thread as they grow! 🐣

I labeled the 6 chicks as A,B,C,D, dot, and O. I also included a few close ups. 🐤

Thank you for the help and for guessing along with me! 😄

IMG_7187.jpeg

IMG_7168.jpeg

IMG_7163.jpeg

IMG_7165.jpeg

IMG_7174.jpeg

Hi chicken friends,

Please join me on this little adventure! I got 6 blue laced red Wyandotte chicks as friends to my 2 self hatched (probably Brahma) chicks. I bought them from the feed store as straight run Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. Looking at these little guys they all seem to be lacking blue coloration. Does that color come in later in life, or did I end up with 6 black chicks? Any help and guesses are welcome! Also if you have any guesses on the sex ratio, feel free to share! 😁I’ll update this thread as they grow! 🐣

I labeled the 6 chicks as A,B,C,D, dot, and O. I also included a few close ups. 🐤

Thank you for the help and for guessing along with me! 😄

View attachment 3665133

View attachment 3665126

View attachment 3665125

View attachment 3665124

View attachment 3665123
Blue Laced Red means blue edges on the feathers, and red in the middle of each feather.

Breeding Blue [anything] chickens will produce some with blue, some with black, and some with splash (splash is a light gray/white shade, with "splashes" of black or blue.) That is because of how the blue gene works.

I think you have black laced chicks (black edges on the feathers.) I can't tell whether they will have gold or red in the middles of the feathers. That part should become more visible as they get older.

Chicken color varieties do not have consistent names.
So "Blue Laced Red" means blue edges on red feathers.
But "Gold Laced" means black edges on gold feathers. It could be called "Black Laced Gold," except that the official color name was established many years ago and will probably never be changed.

So yours might be Gold Laced as @Rose the Legbar said, or they might be Black Laced Red (presumably from a breeding pen of Blue Laced Reds.) The only difference would be whether they show gold or black red in the middle of the feathers when they grow up.

Last edited:
Blue Laced Red means blue edges on the feathers, and red in the middle of each feather.

Breeding Blue [anything] chickens will produce some with blue, some with black, and some with splash (splash is a light gray/white shade, with "splashes" of black or blue.) That is because of how the blue gene works.

I think you have black laced chicks (black edges on the feathers.) I can't tell whether they will have gold or red in the middles of the feathers. That part should become more visible as they get older.

But "Gold Laced" means black edges on gold feathers. It could be called "Black Laced Gold," except that the official color name was established many years ago and will probably never be changed.

So yours might be Gold Laced as @Rose the Legbar said, or they might be Black Laced Red (presumably from a breeding pen of Blue Laced Reds.) The only difference would be whether they show gold or black in the middle of the feathers when they grow up.
Thank you for the detailed response! 🤗 I’ll add more pictures in a few weeks when their feathers are more grown out! 👍 can’t wait to see if they’ll turn out red or gold 🤓

So yours might be Gold Laced as @Rose the Legbar said, or they might be Black Laced Red (presumably from a breeding pen of Blue Laced Reds.) The only difference would be whether they show gold or black in the middle of the feathers when they grow up.
I just wanted to add a little picture update of what they look like now in their awkward teenager stage. 😅 I’ll update again once they are fully grown 🐓
IMG_7318.jpeg
IMG_7314.jpeg
IMG_7309.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom