Help, Critically injured Bantam Chicken (Graphic Content)

birdyP

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2022
So I was not home when it happened but I got a message about one of the bantam chicks hatched, but was found seriously injured with the mother panicking. He was found on the floor with his the top of his head ripped off of any skin (skull showing I think) so now I’m wondering what can I do in a situation like this, she’s still alive, wrapped in a blanket with a lamp giving her warmth. I already applied some solution on her head to avoid infections but now I have zero clue on what’s next. She was just born today, is it over?

Attachments

• c68ff155-e52a-4482-a909-b84044e5494f.jpeg
    c68ff155-e52a-4482-a909-b84044e5494f.jpeg
    306 KB · Views: 29
  • 11f115fa-7f13-44d2-922a-d908d9c9e57e.jpeg
    11f115fa-7f13-44d2-922a-d908d9c9e57e.jpeg
    388.4 KB · Views: 12
This type of scalping injury can occur when another hen or the broody attacks the chick. I would spray warm saline or Vetericyn wound spray on it, and then apply plain Neosporin or Bacitracin to it several times a day to not let it dry out. It could have a brain injury, but if it wakes enough, you could try giving some water with sugar in it (1 tsp per 8 ounce cup) and offer some mushy wet feed or raw egg. I hope the chick survives, but it looks very serious. Keep it separate with a heat source.
To make saline dissolve 1/2 tsp salt in one cup of water.

So I was not home when it happened but I got a message about one of the bantam chicks hatched, but was found seriously injured with the mother panicking. He was found on the floor with his the top of his head ripped off of any skin (skull showing I think) so now I’m wondering what can I do in a situation like this, she’s still alive, wrapped in a blanket with a lamp giving her warmth. I already applied some solution on her head to avoid infections but now I have zero clue on what’s next. She was just born today, is it over?
I really hope the little one makes it! How’s she doing?

I really hope the little one makes it! How’s she doing?
so far the same, although I’m seeing more movement I am starting to see that she could have an injured neck too, not certain tho could be her resting. Currently making her food, we’re planning to create an indoor home for her now, will be hard bc we have cats.

so far the same, although I’m seeing more movement I am starting to see that she could have an injured neck too, not certain tho could be her resting. Currently making her food, we’re planning to create an indoor home for her now, will be hard bc we have cats.
This is horrible to deal with. I'm so sorry. Brutal honesty - optimism may be misplaced here due to age. The above solutions are tip top perfect, and i have had several birds survive horrendous injuries. So it's worth trying! I'm so sorry this happened to yall.
Infectiin is the biggest threat now since you are already treating for shock. Poor guy. Poor mom!

Really hoping she gets better!

Update: Unfortunately at around 9am she passed away. Thank you again to everyone for their help and support. ✌️

Back
Top Bottom