Ameraucana (?) Breed question and Pullet or Roo?

Here's some insight that you probably won't hear from most.
I first saw blue egg layers in the 70s. That was before I ever heard of the name Ameraucana or Easter Egger. In that day they were called Araucanas.
They weren't exactly pure for any of those breeds as we know them today. Breeders were trying to standardizes them as the Araucana and did in the mid 70s. Other breeders took them in a different direction creating the American Araucana shortened to Ameraucana and joining the APA almost 10 years later.
Many thought the gene that caused the no tail was linked to the lethal gene in those earliest birds. Some knew and others later figured out it was the ear tufts that was linked. But anyways people started breeding away from one or the other or both sets of genes.
Araucanas became less popular and Ameraucana popularity grew. But all along the way the hatcheries kept breeding for the blue egg genes with less regard to the SOP the APA set.
Those birds were now becoming advertised as the "Easter egg layers" For a long long time you could buy these non Ameraucana birds from hatcheries that laid blue eggs. Idk if there's any hatcheries that still have those lines or if they've all mixed egg genes now.
Easter eggers, Americanas, etc are all just different labels that were eventually attached by hatcheries to their birds.
It doesn't suprise me that so many are confused by what exactly they have since its changed so often.
I agree 1050%
I did find the information you supply here in my own researchathon (I'm a self-proclaimed infomaniac). You'd think I'd know something by now, but no. The more I learn about blue egg layers, the less I feel I know and the more misunderstandings I adopt ((sigh)) It's fun though lol And waiting to see what egg color you'll get is the most exciting part, so, I'm here for it :) I truly love all of your info, so please do share anything and everything and thank you so much, truly.

I don't buy into the whole Ameraucana offspring that aren't color/pattern pure aren't Ameraucana idea.
My issue with yours is that pullets leg color. Yellow skin is incorrect for Ameraucana and for a bird to have yellow skin it had to get that gene from both parents.
Yellow skin is recessive to white skin so since yours are hatchmates the male could be carrying the gene hidden.
That's just a lot of birds from that line with the wrong genes. I'd guess you're right. The breeder probably was unaware her birds weren't pure.
You don't buy the idea, because maybe you don't breed Ameraucana? Ameraucana breeders know what's is, and what's not.

I have two Ameraucanas in my flock (I THINK). The topic still confuses me, because I've learned that just because a chicken has parents that are both Ameraucanas, if they don't meet a certain color requirement, they might not TECHNICALLY be Ameraucanas, but instead be simply classified as an Easter Egger. With that in mind, I have a few questions:
-Is my Ameraucana roo, Barnaby, (Black with splashes of red and cream, bright red triple row pea comb and no waddles) in fact an Ameraucana or just an Easter Egger?
-What is Barnaby's color pattern called? Is there one??
-Same question for my white Ameraucana with black specks.
They are hatchmates with the same parents (parents are not my birds). Both hatched from blue Ameraucana (not Americana/Easter Egger) eggs.
-Is my white Ameraucana with black specks in fact a pullet as I am assuming she is? Single pale pea comb (she has not come into lay, yet (if she is a she), though her brother IS sexually mature and fertilizing eggs now), rounded tail feathers with no signs of sickle feather or pointed saddle feathers. I could not get a good pic of that.
Thank you for any input.
P.S. Please excuse the second picture, my son squeezed a piece of the flock's suet treat through the bars and left quite a gross looking mess. Apologies.
And yes, none of yours are true Ameraucanas. They don't meet the standard. If they don't meet the standard, they aren't Ameraucanas.

You don't buy the idea, because maybe you don't breed Ameraucana? Ameraucana breeders know what's is, and what's not.
It's not so much that I don't breed them as it is that I don't show them. That gives me the freedom to think outside of what the APA tells me to think.
You're right some Ameraucana breeders know what's is and what's not for them because others before them put it in black and white and told them it is so.

Those do appear like EEs. I have one, she prefers to be in my hands being picked up rather than walk on her own two feet. Always loves to be pet and loved on, and she lays an AWESOME HUGE amount of beautiful bright blue eggs.

Back
Top Bottom