Blue Wyandottes (and others) - Welp, Other Hatchery or Breeder?

Reyvaughn

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Northeast Pennsylvania
I searched the Welp threads here and most are from last year.
I was wondering if anyone has ordered Gold Lace, Blue or Black Wyandottes from Welp. Are they decent birds (I am not expecting show quality)? I have been reading how some breeds from certain hatcheries are smaller than the breed is supposed to be. I'm hoping they are true in size. I'm also after some nice Delawares and/or Barred Rock. If I make an order through Welp for the Wyandottes, I'll get my Dels and/or Rocks at the same time. Any experience with those breeds from them?

I'm pretty much just after eggs and a full freezer, but if my kids show an interest in showing chickens, I wouldn't object. Welp seems to be the only hatchery with Blue and Black Wyandottes right now. I see Purely gets them seasonally, but I don't feel like waiting around forever. Plus, I am not thrilled about having to spend an extra $20 in shipping. $4.10 a chicken for 15 through Purely compared to $3.33 per chicken for 25 through Welp. But, if Welp's chickens aren't decent, I don't want them.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I've ordered Easter Eggers and Welsummers from Welp and they were vigorous. If that's your only criteria, go for it.

edited for a lost thought...

You might want to clarify "decent". Any hatchery bird isn't really going to follow the Standard of Perfection for it's breed. Example, the wyandottes might be crossed with Rhode Island Reds or Rocks to make them better egg layers. So, I guess they will be "decent" layers.
Colby in KY

Last edited:
Yeah, by decent I meant size and egg laying. All of my stock is hatchery stock and I don't mind that, but I was a bit worried after I read that some members' Brahmas and Australorps weren't reaching near their intended sizes. I'm going to check out Privett now. I don't really want to order 25 more birds, is my main problem. I guess, if I want my Wyandottes I will though. -eyes freezer and straight run option-

I have 2 year old BLR'd from McMurray who are beautiful, sweet birds. I don't have "pet" chickens, I have farm chickens, but the rooster and the hens I have from them were friendly from the start. My splash rooster is HUGE - 12 pounds! (Yes, I got on the scale with my rooster.) He's the only one of my 40-odd chickens who likes to be picked up.

I have pics of them somewhere, I'll try to find them.

I heard the BLRWs from McMurray are small...? I was going to order some straight run from them, but I am after blues as well (I'd also feel really bad about eating such pretty birds). I may try Privett since they have Buff Wyandottes, too. So far, Privett or Welp. They seem to be the only ones with blues. I see Purely took them off the site. Honestly, they more than likely won't stay pure anyways. I know I will more than likley need 2 roos. I have 22 known (or supposed to be) females and 29 I don't know about. I am keeping the nicest Australorp Roo, unless I get a BW roo. If I get BLRWs, I'll make sure I get a roo and keep it. Unless, of course, they turn mean. Then to the freezer! Anyways, I wouldn't object to my BA breeding the Wyandottes.

Quote:
They are going to be smaller, your not going to get that size like the heritage breed birds because hatcheries don't breed for that.

Seek out a breeder.
I heard Foley's or Blue's Poultry does very well for Wyandottes. Heard nice stuff about these guys. Beautiful birds.

If you want pretty birds just to look at, get them from a hatchery, but they are by far from show quality - we had a pair of roosters who were beautiful, but they were totally off the standard confirmation and whatnot (LOL). BUT they were pretty to look at.

Avoid Paul's Pouultry, his birds have issues and will die on you, plus the breeder is rude and apparently has issues pulling through on some of some orders.

You need to call Welp for they dont breed many of there own chicks they drop ship most of their chicks from Privett.. So even thou you are ordering from them they are coming from a
different hatchery. You will do alright I do belive with the blues from them.

Back
Top Bottom