blue X black breeding

I may not have explained it correctly, and I apologize if I caused confusion. I think I know what happens, but I dont know how it does. Blue x blue can give you black, but black x black will never give you blue.

I breed a pure black strain of Ameraucanas. The way I understand it is that you just don't use any black you can find and breed it to a blue. You need the black to also be carrying a gene for the perfect lacing on the blues so they resemble a blue Andalusia not just a washed out blue or a dark blue. So also black to black so you don't get a washed out black. Now you need a black that don't carry the black fret gene to breed to a lavender because you don't want your lavenders to have the black frets in their plumage which is difficult to remove. Maybe one of the guru's from down under or UK knows how to exactly remove the black frets and share their knowledge here. HS

Quote:
You are right about the washed out. THe hen on the right is from a blue breeding the hen on the left is from a black to black. See how the hen on the right does nto have a rich sheen going down her back. They still will have a beattle green sheen, just not as good. Sorry the pics arent the greatest, but that is all I could get.
3866_a4chicken_files_183.jpg

OK thanks Korfus for the visual, and thank you everybody for replying.
Shaffer that makes sense and now I will definetely be keeping those two colors separate!!!!!!!!

I appreciate all the advice
smile.png
ya.gif

Quote:
Thanks for the link,,,,I havent seen this one before.

And Miss Prissy that makes sense too. Now that you mentioned it, someone I was talking to said that she had boughten some black Silkies and she then hatched out a blue chick from these Silkies,AND she was VERY mad at the seller. she had to sell the whole bunch of them and start over.

Last edited:
I still don't understand.
The 'washed-out black' might NOT be black, maybe it's dark blue.
"...said that she had boughten some black Silkies and she then hatched out a blue chick from these Silkies,AND she was VERY mad at the seller. "

Maybe s/he mistook a dark blue for a black bird.

I agree not to use 'washed-out blacks' in a black pen. Test mating might prove them to be dark blues (see above).

I see cock feathers on the left, hen feathers on the right --- and they both look blue (gray) on my moniter.

Are you sure that is a pic of 2 girls?

Gooo Sheep!

smile.png

Lisa​

Quote:
Maybe s/he mistook a dark blue for a black bird.

I agree not to use 'washed-out blacks' in a black pen. Test mating might prove them to be dark blues (see above).

I see cock feathers on the left, hen feathers on the right --- and they both look blue (gray) on my moniter.

Are you sure that is a pic of 2 girls?

Gooo Sheep!

smile.png

Lisa

Thats exactly what I thought. A washed out black is probably a dark blue, because that gal could not have gotten a blue from 2 black silkies. One parent had to be blue, even if dark blue. Ill still stand by my contention that a black is a black, and a "washed out black" is a blue.

And I also see roo feathers on the left and hen feathers on the right...the one on the right doesnt look black at all to me.

Back
Top Bottom