Blue

a thread with a bunch of possible genetic combos would rock... like how to get chocolate, pumpkin, and porcelain colors...

i would want to produce them somehow in my OEGB flock...

Classic case of Incomplete dominant genetics.

Black Chicken = Black (gene) + Black (gene)
Splash Chicken = Splash (gene) + Splash (gene)
Blue Chicken = Black (gene) + Splash (gene)

This what happens when you cross a Black with a Splash:
69483_quadro.jpg

You get 100% Blues.

The same type of chart can be made to all conjugations you want to understand and calculate the percentages you will be getting, per example for Blue vs. Blue:
69483_quadro3.jpg

From the 4 possible gene combinations, you get:
-2 Blues, so (2/4)=0.5=50%;
-1 Black, so (1/4)=0.25=25%;
-1 Splash, so again 25%;

This model can be used to all Incomplete dominant genes (animals, plants, ...).

Quote:
Sooo ... What happens when lavender is introduced to the mix?

Joe

Black to Self Blue = 100% Black Split for Self Blue/ "Lavender"
Blue to Self Blue = 50% Black and 50% Blue both Split for Self Blue/ "Lavender"
Splash to Self Blue = 100% Blue Split for Self Blue/ "Lavender"

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
Sooo ... What happens when lavender is introduced to the mix?

Joe

Blue to Self Blue = 50% Black and 50% Self Blue both Split for Self Blue/ "Lavender"

Chris

That's interesting... and a little confusing.

How does Blue and Self Blue equal Black and Self Blue? same thing for Splash to Self Blue equaling Blue? I understand the whole Split parts. But does lav dilute Splash or what?

Quote:
Self Blue (Lavender: lav) Is a simple Recessive gene and a bird will need to inherit two copies of the gene for the trait to be seen. By contrast, a dominant trait only requires one copy of the gene.

For example if you breed a Male Black Old English Game Bantam to a Female Self Blue (Lavender: lav) Old English Game Bantam, the off spring (F1's) you receive only a 1/2 dose of the Self Blue (Lavender: lav) gene so it will not be a Self Blue (Lavender: lav) in color the first crossing and would be, "Split" for Lavender.
If you take a Male F1 ("Split" for Lavender) and cross him back to his Dam the offspring (F2's) would be Self Blue (Lavender: lav).

Chris

Quote:
Self Blue (Lavender: lav) Is a simple Recessive gene and a bird will need to inherit two copies of the gene for the trait to be seen. By contrast, a dominant trait only requires one copy of the gene.

For example if you breed a Male Black Old English Game Bantam to a Female Self Blue (Lavender: lav) Old English Game Bantam, the off spring (F1's) you receive only a 1/2 dose of the Self Blue (Lavender: lav) gene so it will not be a Self Blue (Lavender: lav) in color the first crossing and would be, "Split" for Lavender.
If you take a Male F1 ("Split" for Lavender) and cross him back to his Dam the offspring (F2's) would be Self Blue (Lavender: lav).

Chris

I understand that whole part about Splits and that Self Blue/Lavender is recessive thus requires two copies. But how does "lav" affect "Bl/bl+" and "bl+/bl+" in terms of genetics. How does adding a copy of lav to a Splash bird result in all Blue birds?

Last edited:
Quote:
Blue to Self Blue = 50% Black and 50% Self Blue both Split for Self Blue/ "Lavender"

Chris

That's interesting... and a little confusing.

How does Blue and Self Blue equal Black and Self Blue? same thing for Splash to Self Blue equaling Blue? I understand the whole Split parts. But does lav dilute Splash or what?

I think Chris just had a little mix up or brain scramble there when he was typing up all the different names,which goes back to what I was saying that when you type it out all the time sometimes you can get it mixed up so if there was just one master thread for breeding Andalusian and Self Blue, that would help. But surely we know he didnt mean to put the Self Blue in the F1 offspring like that, that would be just Blue.

And in your question about lav to splash = Blue, that is becuase it in the first cross when crossing lav to another color, the lav works just like as if it were black. So in the first cross, phenotype wise, crossing Splash and Lav would be the same as crossing Splash to Black, which gives all Blues. But in this case they would be split for lav and would if breed toget her would produce Blacks,Blues, Splashes, and Lavs. But that could lead to a mix up between identifying Splashes and Lavs from the same batch so I personally wouldnt do that.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom