Blue

Is it possible to discuss the visual effects of each color.

Blue and Lavender will express themselves completely different. Lavender is a muted blue color with no lacing effects, the Lavender will dilute it and all other colors, so the bird will just look very light blue, correct? Lavender is not considered a leaky color, true?

Blue can and will express itself in many different shades from very dark to very light. Some blues can actually appear black.
Blue will allow lacing to show and also does not dilute all the other colors of the birds.
One copy of the blue gene will dilute the black on a bird to blue (leaving any other color on the bird such as gold, red, copper, silver or beetle sheen intact...though other factors such as too many melanizers can cause these colors to not be seen or very little of them to be seen), Blue is also referred to as a leaky gene.
2 copies of the blue gene will dilute the blue even further to splash. Splash will allow leakage of dark to light blue feathers randomly throughout the body of the bird. If a bird has copper, red or gold it can also allow the copper or gold to leak through randomly throughout the body as well, but seeing silver leakage on a splash bird would be pretty hard to distinguish right?

Thanks in advance and if I confused ya'll please let me know and I will try and clarify.
smile.png

Quote:
That's interesting... and a little confusing.

How does Blue and Self Blue equal Black and Self Blue? same thing for Splash to Self Blue equaling Blue? I understand the whole Split parts. But does lav dilute Splash or what?

I think Chris just had a little mix up or brain scramble there when he was typing up all the different names,which goes back to what I was saying that when you type it out all the time sometimes you can get it mixed up so if there was just one master thread for breeding Andalusian and Self Blue, that would help. But surely we know he didnt mean to put the Self Blue in the F1 offspring like that, that would be just Blue.

And in your question about lav to splash = Blue, that is becuase it in the first cross when crossing lav to another color, the lav works just like as if it were black. So in the first cross, phenotype wise, crossing Splash and Lav would be the same as crossing Splash to Black, which gives all Blues. But in this case they would be split for lav and would if breed toget her would produce Blacks,Blues, Splashes, and Lavs. But that could lead to a mix up between identifying Splashes and Lavs from the same batch so I personally wouldnt do that.

thumbsup.gif

I saw that typo this morning and corrected it. It was a long day yesterday with Ohio Nationals in all.

Chris

Quote:
I think Chris just had a little mix up or brain scramble there when he was typing up all the different names,which goes back to what I was saying that when you type it out all the time sometimes you can get it mixed up so if there was just one master thread for breeding Andalusian and Self Blue, that would help. But surely we know he didnt mean to put the Self Blue in the F1 offspring like that, that would be just Blue.

And in your question about lav to splash = Blue, that is becuase it in the first cross when crossing lav to another color, the lav works just like as if it were black. So in the first cross, phenotype wise, crossing Splash and Lav would be the same as crossing Splash to Black, which gives all Blues. But in this case they would be split for lav and would if breed toget her would produce Blacks,Blues, Splashes, and Lavs. But that could lead to a mix up between identifying Splashes and Lavs from the same batch so I personally wouldnt do that.

thumbsup.gif

I saw that typo this morning and corrected it. It was a long day yesterday with Ohio Nationals in all.

Chris

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! That makes alot more sense now!
lol.png

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Chris

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! That makes alot more sense now!
lol.png

I thought it might...

Chris

IMHO, it would be less confusing if everyone would refer to Lavender as "Lavender" and not Self-Blue. "Self" basically means that only one color is expressed, no matter what color it is. Lav (lavender) and Bl (blue) are totally different genes with different properties - I think we should respect this and eliminate the confusion.

Quote:
As long as the American Standard of Perfection refers to the color as Self Blue that will be the term that I and other breeders will continue to use.
There are 3, "Blue colors" in the poultry world that can get confused so changing one name isn't going to help anything.
Blue, Self Blue, Silver Blue.

I would also like to say that all, "Lavenders" are Self Blue BUT not all Self Blues are, "Lavenders".

Chris

Also, a bird who is lavender (or self blue, aka lav/lav) AND blue (Bl/bl+) will look MORE like a blue bird than like a lavender bird. Ditto for a bird who is lavender AND splash; it will look more like a splash bird.

Quote:
As long as the American Standard of Perfection refers to the color as Self Blue that will be the term that I and other breeders will continue to use.
There are 3, "Blue colors" in the poultry world that can get confused so changing one name isn't going to help anything.
Blue, Self Blue, Silver Blue.

I would also like to say that all, "Lavenders" are Self Blue BUT not all Self Blues are, "Lavenders".

Chris

My apologies . . . I certainly didn't mean to offend the Self-Blue breeders.
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom