blueberry muffins?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tallyho, Aug 29, 2010.

1. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    I heard sugar is a no-no for chickens but what about muffins and leftover 'healthy' goodies with sugar in them?

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I believe that if you only give them it on occasion, its okay. I just gave my girls one of the oatmeal raisin cookies that I baked today, and they went nuts for it! Enjoy!! [​IMG]

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I do it, but moderation is the key. You don't want to fill them up on junk food, even relatively healthy junk food. Mealworms and crickets are always fun. They're high in protien and there's nothing quite like watching the chickens chase the treats and each other.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Hi, I give my chickens pretty well anything that is left over from the kitchen.....the only thing that I have ever had left was swede which tasted bitter to me. As we try to live on healthy food, generally the scraps will not be nutritionally too bad. I DO agree with other posts, though. Chickens will eat anything and moderation with treats is always best, and this applies to kitchen scraps too.

If your hens have a good mixed diet or free range over a wide area as mine do, then the kitchen scraps are fine.

Sandie

5. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    My chickens have enjoyed a piece of white cake before.....they are still okay ;D

6. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Good, and I just read that flavored yogurt is OK...in moderation. I was always so careful not to give sugary foods.

7. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Our chickens get all of our left overs. Some of it healthy, some of it not! My Aunt sent home a bag of stale cheese balls yesterday. It was hilarious entertainment watching them chase those little orange balls around the run!! Moderation is the key.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by