Blues: Plymouth Rock or Australorp?

Danielpn

Songster
Jul 31, 2020
Southeast Wyoming
About three months ago I got two hens each of Blue Plymouth Rocks and Blue Astralorps from my feed store. I honestly cannot see a feather of difference between them. As they grow, is there going to be a way to identify them. It probably doesn’t matter much, just curious and I like eggs.

Leg color should differ too. Rocks have yellow legs. Australorp should have slate colored legs
Thank you. Sometimes I think I see a difference in leg color, but the longer I look the more they look alike. I am wondering if the feed store got their hatchlings blended somehow.

Here are (supposedly) blue plymouth rock pullets at ~6 weeks -- got them from a local farm who bought a big sexed batch. They appear grey/black but there is a bluish tint when in the sunlight. Legs are definitely yellow with black coloration on the top.

IMG_20200902_091509.jpg
IMG_20200902_091450.jpg

Here are (supposedly) blue plymouth rock pullets at ~6 weeks -- got them from a local farm who bought a big sexed batch. They appear grey/black but there is a bluish tint when in the sunlight. Legs are definitely yellow with black coloration on the top.

View attachment 2317154View attachment 2317155

The ones where the undersides of the feet are yellowish rather than pinkish white are Rocks, and the ones with pinkish white coloring on the underside of the feet are Australorps.

This is because all Plymouth rock varieties have yellow skin, whereas Australorps have white skin.

It's true that Plymouth rocks are supposed to have all yellow legs, but with hatchery birds it's pretty common for them to have black legs. The underside of the feet is the important place to look.

They are healthy, handsome birds regardless of breed. Good job raising them!

Back
Top Bottom