Bluey PLEASE come home.

pgpoultry

Songster
10 Years
Oct 16, 2009
Wales
Bluey is a Blue Partridge Brahma with a twisted spine. Lays eggs fine and went broody 4-5 weeks ago. As I have had a glut of broodies, I rationed her to two eggs as she wasn't listening to anyone who told her we don't want more chicks.

Oh dear....rookie broody....she was (apparently) startled about day 18, water knocked over etc. She broke one egg and ate the contents, all apart from the legs that is.

Day 21 and I found her sitting on a dead chick. I don't know what happened.

Bluey thinks she has a chick.....clucks and calls when I give her food.....returns to the brooding spot in the agricultural shed etc. For 3 days now I have taken her out of the shed and tried to get her to integrate with the others who free range. I don't have any chicks I can pass to her and suppliers have stopped selling them now due to the time of year.

Today she seemed to be a bit more settled and was feeding with the others this morning. However, she is now missing.....I've searched high and low, but it's a big site.....no sign of her. I guess she is sitting with her imaginary eggs or protecting her imaginary chicks somewhere.

This morning a large and fairly fearless fox crossed one of our fields not many yards away from me, so I fear that I won't see her again.

So I am frantically calling Bluey....please come home before nightfall.

Awwww Bluey. I hope she makes it back safe and sound!
hugs.gif

Oh crikey.....I have just found her.......in the garden pond. It is only the fact that the garden pond is so overgrown with weed that has kept her alive. She was just sitting there with only her head above the water, supported by overgrown pond weed.

I must have walked past her several times and didn't notice her amongst the reeds and rushes. As it has been very dry the water level has gone down and the sides are exposed (and quite steep).

She is now in the kitchen by the stove and I have dried her off a bit with a towel. I've given her some warm porridge, too, as she is VERY cold.

I can only guess she went in for a drink (although I don't know why as there are several containers of water left around).

I'm very relieved to have found her, but bemused as to why she was in the pond.

Awww...poor girl! So glad you found her. If only she could talk, I'm sure she'd have an interesting explanation!

Bantimna....all of my flock get up to mischief, so I could really write a book.

Times spent searching amongst nettles/brambles for lost chicks, eggs under every hedge, wayward cockerels, hens laying and brooding on the dog's bed, and hens who bring their broods in the kitchen for treats.

I'm sure a lot of us have these unruly chooks.....so maybe we should club together and write a series....Tall Tales of BYC Chooks vols. 1-20

I am so glad you found her............maybe that wiley fox startled her into the pond?

If you have a hair dryer, she would love to be blown dry - on the low setting and keep a hand between her and the dryer, so you do not burn or overheat her by accident.

wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom