Bluey's Flock

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by bluey, Jun 27, 2008.

1. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Here is a picture of our modest free ranging flock, which consists of our year old Delaware mix (Churkey) and our 4 new BR and RIR 16 week old chicks. We're new to raising chickens but we are enjoying it very much, so far. Chickens are characters, that's for sure! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    wow nice picture beautiful ladies pretty soon you will be swimming in eggs ! [​IMG]

3. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I wish I could let mine free range. [​IMG] But 200+ big rigs a day moving at 65mph scare me.

4. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    We're very lucky to have the setup we have. It just happens to be perfect for free ranging chickens with about 1-2 acres of grass surrounding the house and the rest in woodlot. The chickens are never more than 30-40 yards from the house/garage/cover.

The only drawback is raccoons and possums, which I monitor via a gamecam and hunt as soon as one wanders around. I believe in active vigilance in this area, since we free range. As soon as I discover a predator is visiting at night, it usually only has a life expectancy of a few days.

I know their are risks inherent to free ranging but I'd still rather let them free during the day. So far, a year into it and no losses. But that can change in a blink.

5. KellyGwen

KellyGwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    Nice!

How did you get the temperature, moon phase and all of that on the bottom of the pic? Is that you camera??

6. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Yes! I have a Moultrie Infra-red camera that records those variables. It sure helps with tracking the predators tendencies. This way I don't have to sit out all night trying to figure out when they are likely to show up. It works like a charm and no flash to scare away the animal!

7. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    Beautiful flock! I like your coop!

That's neat that you have a camera like that. Very smart investment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by