BLW not laying at 9months

MollyHSmith

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2023
Hi all,

I have seven Blue Laced Wyandottes that were hatched around Easter this year (mid-April). One’s a rooster, so six hens. Most of them are pretty dark, but two of the hens have lighter/almost lavender feathers with red lace. Those two, the lighter ones, started laying about a month ago, but the darker hens haven’t laid at all 🤔🤔🤔

It took some trial & error to set up a nesting situation that they felt comfortable with. I have nesting boxes, but the first girl started laying in a little nest she built under a brush pile in my yard 😂 I finally convinced her to start laying in the loft of their coop by loading it with lots of cozy wheat straw. The other hen has started laying there too.

I still have nesting boxes out. We’re in Central Texas, and temps have only hit freezing (31F) once this season. The days have been really pretty and temperate. I recently switched to a higher protein feed at the advice of a fellow chicken raiser at the feed store (and my ducks all started laying like two days after they switched over). Any ideas on what might be going on?! And how I could encourage them to lay? I keep roaming around the yard to see if they’ve made nests anywhere else but I haven’t found any.

I keep roaming around the yard to see if they’ve made nests anywhere else but I haven’t found any.
Time for exams:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Then.....
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

I have a blw that we got last Easter and she doesn't seem to be laying yet, either. I love to see these posts that say I'm not the only one. Our other hen (same age) lays in the coop, so Slacker knows where to leave them.

Back
Top Bottom