BO chick is a bully

mamaKate

Songster
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
SE MO
I brought home two Orcheln's chicks 2 1/2 weeks ago(BO and RIR).The little Bo has been the more dominant from the start. Admittedly, I did a rescue thing and chose the RIR that was smaller than the others and had two peck marks on her head. I thought a sweet BO sister might make them about equal. The RIR is also more fully feathered. I don't know if this is age or breed related. Anyway, now the BO is seriously guarding the food. She doesn't just want to eat first, she sits on the feeder and chases her sister away. I tried adding a lid on the foor but she is guarding the bird, not the dish. I can't separate them. Zinnia (RIR) goes isane without the other chick. If Orcheln's has leftovers about the same age, might it help to add a third? Would it have to be quarantined first?

Oh wow, that really is a problem. You could try feeding the chick by hand, then the BO won't attack her coz you can push her away, and the chicks bond better with you if you feed them by hand.
Maybe that Bo is a roo.

I do feed her by hand several times a day, but even that's tricky. Marigold(BO) jumps onto my hand and throws the food out.

I would go ahead and get a few more chicks. I didn't quarantine my chicks and I had a batch from my local feed store, a batch from TSC, and a home-hatched batch.

Back
Top Bottom