1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BO pullet with no tongue.......

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DebbieLynn, Apr 11, 2009.

1. DebbieLynn

DebbieLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    East Tennessee
    My 8 w/o BO pullet has been very quiet and has not been eating or drinking, when I fed this AM she had attempted to peck at the feed but I never saw her eat. Picked her up and she was very skinny and after much speculation and hours attempting to find more info, Im stumped! I looked in her throat and her tounge is like flipped over backwards as though she swallowed it! Please if you have any ideas on what this could be I would be very grateful. I don't know how long this has been going on because for the past 3 days my DS was feeding for me so I could work double shifts. All the other flock members are OK. [​IMG]

2. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Oh my goodness! I have no clue, but maybe you could feed her some sugar water???

Good luck!!!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    can you get a paper clip back there to pull it forward?

4. DebbieLynn

Feb 9, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I tried to let her drink but she won't and I'm afraid to force any down for fear of drowning her. I know she won't make it this way so I should give it a try and see, thank you.

5. DebbieLynn

Feb 9, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I have hemostats and was going to try that but I was afraid to cause more damage not knowing what I'm doing.

6. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Keep us posted about your chicken!!! We're worried about her!

*You HAVE isolated her, right?*

7. DebbieLynn

Feb 9, 2009
    East Tennessee
    She's here in the house with us and DH is attempting to pull the tongue over into the right position, thank you and hopefully we can get this so she doesn't suffer any more.

8. DebbieLynn

Feb 9, 2009
    East Tennessee
    We were able to get the tongue partially back up but it looks very small and she didn't appreciate the attempts to save her life! How could this have happened ? I have the flock in an enclosed coop so nothing has been in the coop. No signs of trauma that I can see.

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    wow! thats just weird! what the heck causes that!? how is she now??

10. DebbieLynn

Feb 9, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Not any better, the tongue won't stay and it feels as though she has a bone or something just under the beak,on her neck and it's moveable, I wish I knew what to do.........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by