Boat Chicken Ahoy!

Boat Chick

Chirping
Aug 2, 2017
Hi BYC friends! My name is Katie and I am so thankful this forum exists, it helped me answer many questions and calmed my anxieties after I became an unexpected chick mom in May 2017.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Brand new to chickens. My first chicken is Gertrude, we found her abandoned at our favorite local bar in the Caribbean when she was one day old. I brought her back home to our sailboat and asked my boyfriend if we could keep her. He said if the chick ends up being a hen that I could keep her. 11 weeks in, no crowing yet!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
1: Gertrude

(3) What breeds do you have?
I think she's a mixed breed, maybe a Black Copper Maran and a Rhode Island Red? Any help identifying her mix would be appreciated!

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
I was googling questions about how to take care of baby chicks and this forum popped up first.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I enjoy sailing, traveling, cooking, fermenting, dehydrating, reading, and listening to podcasts.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I live on a sailboat full time with my boyfriend and our goal is to sail around the world. We are currently located in the Caribbean.

Attachments

• IMG_1250.JPG
    IMG_1250.JPG
    482.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1257.JPG
    IMG_1257.JPG
    365 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1276.JPG
    IMG_1276.JPG
    763.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1290.JPG
    IMG_1290.JPG
    426.1 KB · Views: 6
Welcome to BYC from middle Tennessee :welcome You're going to want to stock up on a good layer ration and oyster shell. But also every time you're in port, get some fresh veg for her and you'll need some meal worms as well. She'll love fish scraps--but not more than 5% of her diet or you'll get fishy eggs.

Do you have a blog? That's super unique to have a boat chicken, I hope it continues to go well for you. I follow several blogs of nomads, as my husband isn't adventurous enough to be anything but a stay-put landlubber in the state he was born in. I gots to live vicariously through other travelers.

Have you seen Moana? I just saw it the other week, and it was the first thing I thought of, seeing Gertrude on the boat. LOL

Welcome to BYC!

Just another thought about greens... If you can get wheat seed at one of your stops, you might want to setup a really small fodder system. You'll want to grow just enough for her daily ration... There's lots of info on youtube about how much to feed and how to setup a system.

Back
Top Bottom