Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are wanting to focus more on the heritage animals here at our farm, and are looking into getting a few more heritage breeds of chickens.

What do you all think of the; Black Java, Partridge Chantecler, and Dorking? And which breeders have the best lines to get them from?

Thanks!
================================================
Hi White Mountain!
Great to see you here! I am sure you'll get a lot of great info here.
Best Regards,
Karen

Lacey Blues,
If all her organs seemed normal except the heart then my guess is congestive heart failure with the white sack around the heart, that is not normal. Who knows, with all toxins is our environment she also could have been poisoned somehow. I would not eat her. I had a cock bird bitten by a rattlesnake who acted the same way and did survive, but was never quite right after that.

We are wanting to focus more on the heritage animals here at our farm, and are looking into getting a few more heritage breeds of chickens.

What do you all think of the; Black Java, Partridge Chantecler, and Dorking? And which breeders have the best lines to get them from?

Thanks!
When it comes to Dorkings they are very rare and in Grays they are kind of stuck. If you get some from this person or that person who has them they are about the same. Just kind of average. In Whites Joseph has some very nice ones in the New England area and would make a good breed in my book. Dont know much about Chantecler, never seen one befor. As for Black Javas there are many who have them. Type into your search en-gin Black Javas or the Java Club. There are a few who are really making big strides in this breed. In five years I think some will make it to champion row.

Could I ask how you choose these three breeds? I often wonder how people come up with breeds they ask about. It may be nice for us to learn from folks wanting to get into Standard Breed Old Fashion breeds and leaving the feed store breeds which they started with. Was it the storys or history or the pictures you see?

Also, go to the new thread they have brought up Javas as the breed of the week. They just finis hied Dominique fowl.

If you want more information on top breeders I can send you a few names of folks I may know who has them. Big problem is getting started as top breeders normally don't send eggs by mail or even chicks. You most of the time have to get them from their customers who bought birds from them.

Last edited:
Looking for quality Light Sussex this Spring??
Found this on Craigslist this evening. What a stunning pullet! What beautiful type! Look at that long back and lovely tail placement!
Ad:
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/grd/3629851098.html

www.Sunsetmeadowfarm.com , Medina Ohio
Light Sussex Hatching Eggs 10+ - $35 (Medina, Oh)
Our Pullet won Best of Variety at the 2012 Ohio Nationals. We are NPIP and Avian Infuenza monitored.

Click, Drool,
Karen

Last edited:
When it comes to Dorkings they are very rare and in Grays they are kind of stuck. If you get some from this person or that person who has them they are about the same. Just kind of average. In Whites Joseph has some very nice ones in the New England area and would make a good breed in my book. Dont know much about Chantecler, never seen one befor. As for Black Javas there are many who have them. Type into your search en-gin Black Javas or the Java Club. There are a few who are really making big strides in this breed. In five years I think some will make it to champion row.

Could I ask how you choose these three breeds? I often wonder how people come up with breeds they ask about. It may be nice for us to learn from folks wanting to get into Standard Breed Old Fashion breeds and leaving the feed store breeds which they started with. Was it the storys or history or the pictures you see?

Also, go to the new thread they have brought up Javas as the breed of the week. They just finished Dominique fowl.

If you want more information on top breeders I can send you a few names of folks I may know who has them. Big problem is getting started as top breeders normally don't send eggs by mail or even chicks. You most of the time have to get them from their customers who bought birds from them.

Hi Robert, thank you for the information.

I picked breeds that 1. very rare and need conserving 2. are good for meat and eggs. 3. appeal to me look-wise 4. have good variation between them.

I really want to do Colored Dorkings and I found them at Sandhill, what do you think about the quality of those? The reason I picked those was because one of my customers suggested them and I looked into them and really liked the way the Coloreds look, and they need conserving, plus I want to taste the fabled meat.
lol.png

I picked the Black Java because I ran across a farm website that's here locally by me that raise them and I really liked them. I'd like some really nice quality Black Javas, are Duane Urchs' good?

I picked the Chantecler's because I thought they were really pretty and rare.

The Dominques are the other breed I was looking into. I will definitely check that thread out!

Hi everyone, I am so puzzled by this young chick I have who is about 7 weeks old in this picture. It's feathers are tattered and I can't figure out what the issue is. He seems healthy and happy, no mites or lice, I've looked everywhere. The tattered feathers are symmetrical, and evenly distributed, suggesting genetics? I've been trying to find info on this condition for weeks now, and just can't find anything. I just want to make sure it's just how he is, and not that he is lacking in nutrition or something. Have any of you come across something like this before?

Though this bird is not a Heritage Large Fowl, all you smarties hang out here, and I thought I'd give it a shot. I've posted a couple of other places on the forum, but got no definitive answer. Hope I'm not irritating you all!
bow.gif
Thanks for any thoughts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom