Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a lot of talk on this thread about American and English breeds. Does anyone on this thread raise any asiatic, continental, or Mediterranean breeds?

I'm working on black hamburg large fowl and I used to raise dark brown leghorns in RC and SC.

There is a lot of talk on this thread about American and English breeds. Does anyone on this thread raise any asiatic, continental, or Mediterranean breeds?
I'm working on black hamburg large fowl and I used to raise dark brown leghorns in RC and SC.
I have recently acquired some La Fleche and have eggs in the incubator due New Years Day. I am looking forward to working with the breed. There does not seem to be much interest in them but I like looking at the ones I am starting with -- even though they are undersized, the hens and pullets lay large egg.

For Christmas, I gave my office co-workers farm stuff -- honey, eggs, jellies -- in each dozen eggs, I would mix the brown (different shades) eggs of the Buckeye, the chalky-white egg of the La Fleche, and I put in a couple of blue eggs from my Ameraucana pullet (she is laying every day). I'm not meaning to brag, but the eggs looked really nice all mixed like that.

I expect to get 3prs of B. Catalanas tomorrow, God willing. These are from an 80s import from Peru. It took no small effort to locate them.

"I expect to get 3prs of B. Catalanas tomorrow, God willing. These are from an 80s import from Peru. It took no small effort to locate them."

That's awesome!!! I have only ever seen one Catalana before in my life. Thats probably a pretty unique line too. Good luck with those!! Post pics if you can!!

Last edited:
I agree that all breeds are worth preserving, and I agree that an emphasis on the foundation of these breeds is important. Probably the most important.

I get the impression that all of the utility breeds of the early to the mid 1900s took a big hit, when they were replaced in the poultry industry. Things were changing fast at the time. To me this time period is the golden years of American Poultry though.

If these utility breeds did not get a following in the show room, then there was not much use for them in many eyes. These dual purpouse white egg layers, did not have as much a chance when most seam to prefer brown eggs. Also it seams many of the small farmers of the time had a preference for other than white birds. Naturally the White Hollands, and Lamonas got lost in the shuffle. Then the Delawares and the New Hampshires. These were commercial utility breeds, and were replaced by more efficient birds, in a rapidly changing period. The shift was fast to seperate birds for meat and eggs.

These are not historical breeds, but I am one that has a particular interest in the breeds of this time period. I think they are potentially useful for those of us that like to grow our own food.

"I expect to get 3prs of B. Catalanas tomorrow, God willing. These are from an 80s import from Peru. It took no small effort to locate them."
That's awesome!!! I have only ever seen one Catalana before in my life. Thats probably a pretty unique line too. Good luck with those!! Post pics if you can!!
All I have been able to locate otherwise has been from hatcheries.

All I have been able to locate otherwise has been from hatcheries.

Could you use hatchery birds to cross in your exhibition line to start a new strain? I'm not real excited about using hatchery stock but maybe would be good for genetic diversity within the breed.
Of course always maintain a pure strain of your exhibition birds.
Maybe use a good exhibition male on some hatchery females?

Could you use hatchery birds to cross in your exhibition line to start a new strain? I'm not real excited about using hatchery stock but maybe would be good for genetic diversity within the breed.
Of course always maintain a pure strain of your exhibition birds.
Maybe use a good exhibition male on some hatchery females?
I had a lot of thoughts and ideas as I was looking for these. Since I have located what I believe is my best shot with this breed, I have put away all other ideas. I do not know enough about these particular birds to consider anything. I have found that it takes me a year to even know what I have. The best I could say is that I hope to not lose a single bird, and hatch and raise as many as I can. I would guess that this time next year, I will have an idea what I am dealing with.
Regardless, I will discuss what I do or don't with the man that is helping me get these. Out of respect if for no other reason. He had mentioned the same possibility that you did. Apparently this strain has influence on these hatchery flocks, even when it is said "that they have done something with them".
For now, I hope driving to pick them up goes well tomorrow. Then getting some eggs set and hatched. Maybe I am saying, that I do not want to count my eggs before they hatch. All I know right now is that they will be secured and cared for the best that I am able to do. That is if I make it home with them tomorrow.

You make me want to go weigh my birds. (I guess I should be doing that anyway). I am the one that had the light Sussex at the Pensacola show. And am very interested in the breed. I wish more peeps had them to show. I would love to have something besides my on flock to compare them to.

This was directed at 3Riverschick. I forgot to put the quoat in there. Been a very long time since I posted on here.
You had some stunning birds and you remember what the judge said from Iowa. The female was the best he ever saw.

Anyone who wants some nice looking dual purpose chickens these Light Sussex that Holly has are the best I ever saw live or in pictures.

She might be able to help some of you who would love to help this very rare breed of chickens and color pattern.

I had two people ask me I would like some Black Jersey Giants and I think I got two people who can supply us with eggs and maybe a third one. It sure would be nice if I could get a dozen or two at the New nan Georgia Show in Feb. I could bring them home and then hatch them for these two members. But one way or another we will have Black Jersey Giants for our two members next year.

There is a saying WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND. ALSO AS YOU SOW SO SHALL YOU REAP.

Zig Zigler told me in person IF YOU HELP ENOUGH PEOPLE GET WHAT THEY WANT YOU WILL GET WHAT YOU WANT.

I have always believed this and I keep pushing helping people find these rare breeds and then when I WANT SOME THING FOR ME. It shows up. Is is fate? Is it karma?
Is it the power of the sub conscious mind that you believe you can do it when they say you cant like my Grand Mother use to tell me?

Well his is my Christmas Present for all I have done I think for the folks on this tread. If not my reward is com pleat.

Thanks to a great friend in Poultry. Here is my GIFT. Thank you.

http://bobspens.webs.com/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom