Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
VERY GOOD IDEA FRED. What should it be called. The Standard Breed XXX Site?

Lets come up with a productive name then we can support it.

I used the H word to start with to get attention on my threads some did not like it I dont know if we want to use it or not.

The Standard Breed Heritage Judging Site is a possable name.

May have to use the H word to get attention I dont know. As long as we dont get hung up on the H word and just foucus on the breed and learn what to look for.

I thing this is a Jersey Giant I saved a picture of. Needs a little more curve in the breast but may get it as a cock bird after he molts and maybe not never the less I would like to have some of his off spring to give to two of my friends who want this breed.

The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site This was the second thread I made. Its still going needs a can kicked down the road after a while.

What happens with the Plymouth Rock site is a nice person will show us their barred rocks they got from Tractor supply and they think they are the best Pl mouth Rocks on earth. When I see them I know what they have.

Its harsh to say you got Scrubs or Junk. They do a great job raising them so they should at least get credit for doing a good job. These poor souls and their are hundreds maybe thousands of them on this site have no clue what they have. Some don't care. That's fine. If there happy I am happy. But if some one comes along as asks how can I upgrade to better stock that's where I try to help them.

I tried to first show the people on this site there where other chickens beside the ones they get at the feed store. Also, there are a few who want to preserve something from the past. Many remember their grand parents who may have had these kind of foul.

In regards to the incubator the Hove incubator with the set thermostat is not only a good hatch er but a good all around incubator. I have a friend who tested his Rolex and his Genies and he got the same results. You could have a Genius and hatch them in a $40. job its only for three days and at that period the hard work has been done and the chick should hatch well. I have a fan and the guts from the midi get incubator in some of my home made Red Wood incubators and I set call duck eggs in them from day one to hatching. They are the hardest things I every tried to hatch. Look forward to your new name.

We will support it. Maybe we could change breeds every week like someone suggested.

Last edited:
Bird A - Ideal
Bird B - Best Natural
Bird C - Average
Bird D - Poor

And give an explanation of why the birds are ranked and tell the differences...

Just throwing an idea out off the top of my head.
Ideal I understand, average I understand, poor I know (lol), but what in the world is 'Best Natural?'

Walt and I and some others, once kicked around a working title of Chicken University. Something catchy that suggested a couple things.

1. An intelligent approach, rather than a competitive approach. No birds would be "placed", although, a rough score wouldn't hurt anything. Yes, a 90 versus a 94 helps a lot, especially when we understand better why.
2. An admitted upscale, a cut above the "OMG, your bird is pretty" thing. Now, not to the point of losing the audience, but as someone described Fred Jeffrey's ability to communicate and teach in a way the hearer could understand.

Bird A - Ideal
Bird B - Best Natural
Bird C - Average
Bird D - Poor

And give an explanation of why the birds are ranked and tell the differences...

Just throwing an idea out off the top of my head.

Well now you've lost me. I thought the idea is to discuss the merits or faults of each bird in relation to the standard rather than compare them to each other. Example, looking at pictures of four birds from the front: Bird 1 is described as wide, bird 2 is knock kneed, bird 3 is also wide, but almost freakishly so and bird 4 is narrow with a narrow chest. None is "placed" higher than another, they are simply discussed so the average person can understand why a certain trait is good or bad. i.e. "a wide stance is desirable, as long as the bird retains it's breed type and doesn't start looking like a Bulldog."

Why not just use basic poultry show language?
Best of Breed, Resrv., 3, 4, etc.
Best of Variety, Resrv., 3, 4, etc.

With the judges comments (like normal), including which bird(s) they'd take home as breeders (which seldom are the winners).

How about calling it "Critique of Standard Breeds" or "Critique of Standard-Bred Chickens"? This would emphasize the learning aspect, as opposed to the competetive aspect. I do like the idea of pictures submitted anonymously; once again, the learning part is placed over the competetive. As far as people being offended at being told their bird is awful, many of the people interested in this want to show or sell chickens, eventually someone somewhere is going to tell them the truth. They may as well get used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom