Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a lot of wisdom to be drawn from the wish to refrain from the superficiality and, frequently, redundancy of color. Instead we can turn to substance. When we really begin to know what good chickens are, color only moves us when it is adorning a bird of substance.

I agree 100%. In the equine color fads come and they always fall by the way side. The quality was never there to keep it around. People were breeding ANYTHING together and because it was a color that was pretty. I have always bred what people called a plain sorrel or bay. But the difference between my plain colored horses are they can actually perform, and are built to last (conformation). I love the Wyandotte, they need a lot of help. In this breed I see so many issues related to shape. I look at shape first and color last. The foundation has to be there first. But lots of people see color first and that is what they concentrate on. I would like people to look at these pretty colored birds in a black/white picture and then tell me they are Wyandottes. Take away the "color" and look at the shape...Okay I am getting off my soap box.

Last edited:

Well, I guess I'm not particularly fond of splash. I find them to be too haphazard, but these were actually just not good birds. Otherwise, it is my pleasure to share and fan the flames.

Joe, the Cuckoo Marans is extremely important in the history of the Marans breed in the United States. They were the first variety imported, and I think the only variety legally imported, and many of the strains of the Black Copper and Wheaten Marans are based of Cuckoo heritage due to the poor hatch-ability in the more newly imported varieties. Also the Cuckoo Marans are the first and only variety accepted to the Bantam standard, though I guess that isn't entirely relevant. Though between being sucked in by hatcheries and the new varieties being brought in they have become very rare in true form.

I recognize the historical relevance of the Cuckoo, but I question whether or not the venture will be successful. Perhaps the Cuckoo will be successful, but then there's the blues. Where there are blues, there are blacks and splash. Add wheatens, and blue wheatens are around the corner. I'm sure the Whites will come down the pipe. When are crele going to show up? When will the shift turn to substance?

Are Marans just slated to become the next 9 variety breed with two of OK quality?

I recognize the historical relevance of the Cuckoo, but I question whether or not the venture will be successful. ...... When are crele going to show up? When will the shift turn to substance?

Are Marans just slated to become the next 9 variety breed with two of OK quality?
Lots of great discussion tonight. I don't think you will see crele anytime soon. that requires e+ birds. In Marans, true crele is barred e+. The e+ Golden Salmon (wildtype) are very rare. Crossing was done to Wellsummer and eWh and Black-Tailed Buff Marans. Lots of messed up Golden Salmon out there. A few trying to winnow out true wildtype.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
I recognize the historical relevance of the Cuckoo, but I question whether or not the venture will be successful. Perhaps the Cuckoo will be successful,
===========================
There are some stunning cuckoos out there in small , isolated flocks. Cuckoo are important to Marans and, if not for the Black Copper, should have been the first variety recognized. Getting them into the SOP is an important aspect to keeping them popular enough to conserve. Cuckoo Marans can be used to make White, Black, and Golden Cuckoo Marans. Let's face it , pepole like to work with breeds they can show.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Mikaela, the Mexican restaurant down the road is Abuelita's and has been a great meeting place for folks at the Shawnee show. Many good chicken discussions.

I have never shown, but need to get the Columbian Wyandottes better represented...there were only two shown this year in Shawnee....in the Junior section...and they had really bad tails. Looked like hatchery.

Walt, Bob or any other long time breeders and judges, Do you recall the name of a long time breeder in Oklahoma who has since died that raised and showed Wyandottes...particularly Columbian? We have been having a conversation here and none of us can remember the gentleman's name.
I am not for sure about Columbians, but Larry Dye is from Oklahoma and has some fantastic whites.

There is a lot of wisdom to be drawn from the wish to refrain from the superficiality and, frequently, redundancy of color. Instead we can turn to substance. When we really begin to know what good chickens are, color only moves us when it is adorning a bird of substance.
This reminds me of many a late night discussion after a dog show where coat/grooming defeated structure and soundness. One of the reasons to love a less popular breed of dog is that usually the breeders are actual breeders who require their lines to perform their original function and live long, healthy, pain free lives. The same may be true of chickens, the trick is finding the few serious and devoted breeders who have spent years refining their lines and have birds that look like the SOP, and convincing them you are serious enough to deserve some nice starting stock. I confess I had never given Buff Wyandottes a second thought until this discussion ensued. Now they are on my radar.

Quote:
White is also just around the corner (there are already plans for putting them up for inclusion in the SOP) and folks are already working on Crele, Columbian, and even lavender ("Self-blue"). Blue Coppers are very popular and we also have the solid colour Black Marans and Blues.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Last edited:
Mikaela, the Mexican restaurant down the road is Abuelita's and has been a great meeting place for folks at the Shawnee show. Many good chicken discussions.

I have never shown, but need to get the Columbian Wyandottes better represented...there were only two shown this year in Shawnee....in the Junior section...and they had really bad tails. Looked like hatchery.
NanaKat, if you can find someone anywhere along our route, preferrably in the PA area that has some Columbian Wyandottes like what you are after, we may be able to bring them down to you when we move.

I am not a fan of Wyandottes myself. Every single one I have had has been vicious to other birds. My Langshans are so laid back, the Silkies bullied them. My Wyandottes were pickers as well. Something a little wrong in the head with them if you ask me. Must be that rose comb! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom