Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would listen to her. I also understand that buff can be arrived at more than one way (while not disputing the Wheaten part at all). Making the genetics geniuses and calculators nearly useless for breeding them well. This is where thedragonlady's good eye is important. From what I've been able to understand, this is an art, not a science.
Thanks Sarah ! A science would make my life a whole lot easier ! That's why I spend a lot of time sitting on a bucket watching birds in the sunshine.Sunshine will show up the 2 toned birds, the mealy ones, and if you look at wings and under fluff, the shafted ones.Then there's the little matter of TYPE.

I would listen to her. I also understand that buff can be arrived at more than one way (while not disputing the Wheaten part at all). Making the genetics geniuses and calculators nearly useless for breeding them well. This is where thedragonlady's good eye is important. From what I've been able to understand, this is an art, not a science.
Danne Honour is widely considered the Dean of Buff poultry. He complied this great collection of hundreds of articles on breeding Buff Poultry.
Online here: http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/Buff-Coloration.pdf I was online one day someplace on the Net and inquiring about the proper color of Buff Poultry...because at that time I was interested in breeding Black -Tailed Buff Marans and was seeing several different hues in the fancy. Danne Honour happened to be conversing in the thread and told me that this article was the best he had ever seen in descibing true Buff coloration. It's in this PDF and titled, "The Gospel of True Buff Color in Domestic Fowl. ", by W.H. Card (a noted poultryman and judge who was Danne Honours' uncle's uncle). Page 57 of 273.

viewing the entire page one at a time can be problematic.
---on the page counter icon is another icon which looks like a tripod. click on it. it is the adobe toolbar.
---when the new screen comes up, look at the top of the page. next to the page size numrical indicator on the right hand side is another icon. when you pass your mouse over it , it says " fit to window width and enable scrolling".
---click on this icon and the page will resize to fit your computer screen. Now you can scroll the pages with the wheel on your mouse or the up&down buttons on your keyboard.

Last edited:
Woohoo! Just found out I get to move back to God's country sooner rather than later!

The end of February we get to come back home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yahoo! Congratulations!

Will you look like I did when I moved? I'm sure some people thought I was a gypsy or something... a trailer full of different sized chicken cages with all different kinds of chickens in them all covered over by a tarp!
gig.gif

I couldn't have possibly sold my birds like some people expected me to. NO WAY!

That's how it was on the way up here! Now, we're going back with:

1 Moving truck
4 different cars
1 U-haul trailer full of chickens
1 horse trailer full of a butt-headed horse that people apparently like to take pictures of as we drive? Seriously? Has nobody seen a horse in a trailer before?

3 dogs and a cat.

A ferret fits somewhere in there also.

Danne Honour is widely considered the Dean of Buff poultry. He complied this great collection of hundreds of articles on breeding Buff Poultry.
Online here: http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/Buff-Coloration.pdf  I was online one day someplace on the Net and inquiring about the proper color of Buff Poultry...because at that time I was interested in breeding Black -Tailed Buff Marans and was seeing several different hues in the fancy. Danne Honour happened to be conversing in the thread and told me that this article was the best he had ever seen in descibing true Buff coloration. It's in this PDF and titled, "The Gospel of True Buff Color in Domestic Fowl. ",  by W.H. Card (a noted poultryman and judge who was Danne Honours' uncle's uncle). Page 57 of 273.

viewing the entire page one at a time can be problematic.
---on the page counter icon is another icon which looks like a tripod. click on it. it is the adobe toolbar.
---when the new screen comes up, look at the top of the page. next to the page size numrical indicator on the right hand side is another icon. when you pass your mouse over it , it says " fit to window width and enable scrolling".
---click on this icon and the page will resize to fit your computer screen. Now you can scroll the pages with the wheel on your mouse or the up&down buttons on your keyboard.
Thank you so much for this link!

Quote: I will find the article on how to Breed Buff Plymouth Rocks that I had in one of my early issues of the Plymouth Rock Monthly for you to read. It was written by a fellow who is a master of the Buff Color and this past November he won Champion Large Fowl of the Show at Columbus Ohio on a big Buff Cochin Large Fowl. It is a great breed or color pattern the Buffs. If would be a very good breed to learn to master after you have learned to line breed a good large fowl STANDARD BREED. Beginner may get upset with me but it takes time to be a good breeder and you need to learn with a color pattern that does not require a Masters Degree in Poultry Science to accomplish. So many get started with a color pattern that is so difficult to maintain and they can not understand why there are not any good quality birds out there to obtain. The Main REASON is they have been run down for more than 50 years and it would take some of the top 5% of to days breeders 20 year to breed them up. It can be done but only a hand full have done it.

In regards to say Rhode Island Whites they are nothing but White Rocks- White Wyandotte crosses. The ones from the 1950s have come and gone. Every year someone gets hung up on this old breed. They just where not that popular and they have no relation to our Rhode Island Reds other than the name. They tried to ride the coat tails of popularity in the 1920s and 30s with the Red Club when we had 5,000 members and even then no buddy fooled with them that much. One question I ask myself every day for you poor souls who are egg buying is does the seller know how to pack eggs correctly. Are you going to get a 5 or 15% hatch from your egg purchase. Production chicken eggs I think have a higher hatch rate than Standard Breed birds. Maybe because they are so crossed up in blood lines or they are are high in egg production I have no idea. But be care full.

Cuckoo Marans? Why and to what end? What will ever come of them?
It looks like the hens end up on the cover of Poultry magazine listed as a 'Dominique Rooster'.
smile.png
Or maybe the "cuckoo/barred" varieties du jour eventually morph into Domirockarans?<snip>

There is a lot of wisdom to be drawn from the wish to refrain from the superficiality and, frequently, redundancy of color. Instead we can turn to substance. When we really begin to know what good chickens are, color only moves us when it is adorning a bird of substance.
(waving both hands in the air) Applause, applause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom