Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ralph was a very good guy and had lots to offer in the way of chicken advice........a true breeder of excellent chickens and a real gentleman. You were very fortunate to have him share his knowledge with you. I was able to visit with him at Lucasville right before his passing. ..so sad.

Walt

I was indeed. One of my other mentors is LeJean Marshall, who has been breeding Rosecombs and Dutch Bantams for almost 70 years now. He doesn't show very much anymore, but is still sharp as a tack. I spoke with him just the other night, and am hoping to see him in a month or so. Such a treasure!

Or better yet, sit with them, talk to them, take notes. There are so many of the older poultry breeders who are leaving us, and taking with us so much knowledge that we'll never get back. Not enough young people have been taught to respect their elders these days, IMO. Several of my mentors are/were in their 80s, and I have learned so much from them! You can't replace 50+ years of experience, you just can't.

The other thing I encourage people to do is to clerk. Walking with the judges (most of them) and watching what they do can be very illuminating. Ask questions if they'll let you. I learned so much from Ralph Sheriff (RIP) when I clerked for him a number of times, he was very patient and talked through what he was doing as he did it, that man had so much poultry knowledge in his head he could have written several books, I was very sad when he passed.

Honor your elders folks, they have much to teach you.

It is great to hear some of the names who others use as mentors. I have several mentors who I have tons of respect for. At the top of the list is one of my mentors mentor Jack Patterson here in Indiana. For a number of years he no longer has chickens. As he says "I am just an old stringman". He has been the guy in charge of filling cages for our Indiana State Fair Poultry Show for the past few years. He has past that torch to Ron Patterson (no relation to Jack). Ron as well is one very good fella to learn from. Jack is Doug Akers mentor. Jack has prolly forgot more then 99% of all what BYCers know combined. IF any of you go to APA shows in the Indiana area you may see him. I would expect you will see him in Greenville at the end of the month. First time I met Jack he came up to me and I never knew who the heck he was till the next show. Then I found out from Doug that Jack taught him pretty much everything he knows. Jack would not agree to that. But, just ask Doug what he thinks of Jack. Both of them are very nice fellas who are eager to share what they know.

Last edited:
It is great to hear some of the names who others use as mentors. I have several mentors who I have tons of respect for. At the top of the list is one of my mentors mentor Jack Patterson here in Indiana... Jack is Doug Akers mentor. Jack has prolly forgot more then 99% of all what BYCers know combined. ... Both of them are very nice fellas who are eager to share what they know.

I have heard of Jack but have never had the pleasure of meeting him. I do know Doug and hold him in very high regard. Not only is he very knowledgeable, a nice guy, but he also does a ton of great work (as I understand it) with 4-H and for me, that's a really big deal. Plus, he has great birds.
wink.png

Talking about Doug Ackers at the Newnan show we all went out to eat and Doug was sitting across from me but in front of me was another master of his craft his son. I interviewed him all night long. He even gave me some tips on breeding these silly black and white chickens I got called Mottle Javas. They have a bantams they raised that had this color pattern. This young man is smart as a wip. He is working on his Phd at Georgia. To me he was the finest Jurnior exibtior I ever saw not only wipping other juniors at shows he attended but he would show in adult classes and beat them. He and his dad met some super star breeders and he him self asked questions and learned from them.

One time when I was living in Wisconsin my wife and I went to the big Minnisota Poultry Show. That is where I met Gary Underwood for the first time and then came this tall old man about 92 years old and I asked Gary who is that guy I have seen pictures of him befor. He said that is Franklin J. Young from North St. Paul Minnisotia. O my God that is a hero of mine I told Gary. I thought he was dead. I left Gary and went over to talk to him but befor I did I put a new cassestte tape into my tape recorder that I had in my big shirt pocket under my sweat shirt. I pumped his brains out for a half a hour and hurd a click. Then I said please excuse me I got to go to the bath room. I have been talking to much and forgot my bladder was full. Went and flipped over the tape and he said boy that was fast.

Went on for thirty more minutes. Then he said why don't you come over to my house some time and I will give you all my Rhode Island Red Chronicles and poultry stuff. I came two weeks latter about a 200 mile trip. Stayed four hours. He gave me his old hatcher incubator and a single large fowl coop which I still have and use. The incubator was made out of red wood and must be 80 years old now.

This man was one of the old time Red breeders who competed with George Underwood and was a member of the Red club in the 1920s during their hay days of membership of 5000 members.

I have interviewed men and stopped after 15 minutes to write notes on the inside of paper feed sacks as I had no note book paper at fairs.

The secret to being like them is to do what they do. Interview ten of them and then apply any of their secrets to your program. I told you once before this is called Neuro Linguistics Programing founded by Tony Robbins. but told to me by grand father when I was not even ten years old. You can be anything you want if you set our mind to it and study the ones who are good at what you want to learn to be like.

By the way the score in the brooder box is five black and white chicks and four Buff Brahma Chicks. I am off to the races for another year. I almost painted myself into a corner with these two breeds. The old hens are coming through.

Hope to double or triple these numbers by May.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Robbins

Last edited:
Talking about Doug Ackers at the Newnan show we all went out to eat and Doug was sitting across from me but in front of me was another master of his craft his son. I interviewed him all night long. He even gave me some tips on breeding these silly black and white chickens I got called Mottle Javas. They have a bantams they raised that had this color pattern. This young man is smart as a wip. He is working on his Phd at Georgia. To me he was the finest Jurnior exibtior I ever saw not only wipping other juniors at shows he attended but he would show in adult classes and beat them. He and his dad met some super star breeders and he him self asked questions and learned from them.

One time when I was living in Wisconsin my wife and I went to the big Minnisota Poultry Show. That is where I met Gary Underwood for the first time and then came this tall old man about 92 years old and I asked Gary who is that guy I have seen pictures of him befor. He said that is Franklin J. Young from North St. Paul Minnisotia. O my God that is a hero of mine I told Gary. I thought he was dead. I left Gary and went over to talk to him but befor I did I put a new cassestte tape into my tape recorder that I had in my big shirt pocket under my sweat shirt. I pumped his brains out for a half a hour and hurd a click. Then I said please excuse me I got to go to the bath room. I have been talking to much and forgot my bladder was full. Went and flipped over the tape and he said boy that was fast.

Went on for thirty more minutes. Then he said why don't you come over to my house some time and I will give you all my Rhode Island Red Chronicles and poultry stuff. I came two weeks latter about a 200 mile trip. Stayed four hours. He gave me his old hatcher incubator and a single large fowl coop which I still have and use. The incubator was made out of red wood and must be 80 years old now.

This man was one of the old time Red breeders who competed with George Underwood and was a member of the Red club in the 1920s during their hay days of membership of 5000 members.

I have interviewed men and stopped after 15 minutes to write notes on the inside of paper feed sacks as I had no note book paper at fairs.

The secret to being like them is to do what they do. Interview ten of them and then apply any of their secrets to your program. I told you once before this is called Neuro Linguistics Programing founded by Tony Robbins. but told to me by grand father when I was not even ten years old. You can be anything you want if you set our mind to it and study the ones who are good at what you want to learn to be like.

By the way the score in the brooder box is five black and white chicks and four Buff Brahma Chicks. I am off to the races for another year. I almost painted myself into a corner with these two breeds. The old hens are coming through.

Hope to double or triple these numbers by May.

Pete Akers is made in his dad's image figuratively. Both are very good for the hobby. Doug has his yearly seminar every first weekend in January. Another fine son of the men I mentioned is Ron Patterson's son. He is now a guest speaker at these seminars. Ron and his son both do Favs and some of the best White Wyandottes in the midwest and if not the country. Gary too is another to be mentioned as a great person for the hobby. Anyone who like Speckled Sussex would know of him. The nice thing about guys like these is they are very approachable. They all are willing to help.
When I went to the seminar this past Jan I took one of my other mentors and very close friend Larry Lee Buffalo. Larry popped this pic and you can get a glimpse of Jack. Not too many BYCers ever go to these APA shows. Those who do already have a good idea of how to raise birds for Exhibition. For those BYCers if you are ever lucky enough to talk to these fellas I highly encourage it.

Just an ole stringman enjoying his coffee and a nice chat with a fellow hobbyist.

Has anyone got chicks in the male with a heat pack in the box to keep the chicks warm?

If so who sells these maybe you can give us a direct link to the source so we can order some.

Thank you. bob

Has anyone got chicks in the male with a heat pack in the box to keep the chicks warm?

If so who sells these maybe you can give us a direct link to the source so we can order some.

Thank you. bob
In a pinch we just use heat wraps that we buy at the clubs . DW uses them on her back and neck sometimes.
I don't know price wise which is better. But they helped our chicks stay warm on the trip back from SC and it was 40 degrees all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom