Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Canadian Poultry Magazine:

The Beginner's A.B.C.January 1929

•Always interest yourself in your stock.

•Breed always from the best of stock.

•Careful attention commands success.

•Dirt is the most virulent conveyance of disease.

•Eggs should be removed from the nest as often as convenient.

•Fresh water is compulsory.

•Good frit, flint and oyster shells should never be absent.

•Hatch no more than your ground will carry – save chance of loss.

•Insides of houses, etc., must be kept spotless.

•Join and support the associations that are working for the betterment of the

industry.

•Keep well up in poultry matters – read the Canada Poultryman.

•Look out for the first signs of disease – a stitch in time saves ninety-nine.

•Make a spare pen; it's bound to come in handy for hospital, new purchases or

training.

•Nests must be roomy, comfortable and clean.

•Overfeeding is the cause of many disappointments, such as scarcity of eggs,

etc.

•Perches should be movable so that they may be often and easily cleaned.

•Query columns of Canada Poultryman are a mine of information.

•Raise chickens only from the best stock.

•Successful poultry-keeping is the result of careful study.

•Turn every useless fowl into cash, or it will quickly eat your profit.

•Utility points must be maintained by pedigree record-nest strains.

•Vegetables and green stuff are a necessity.

•Water and waterpots must be fresh.

•X's should be cut down as much as possible.

•Years and seasons are not all alike – do not expect the same success every

time.

•Zeal – and plenty of it.

This is awesome. I love it. I will be sure to share this with my 4H group. Thanks!!!

I haven't found zip ties with enough colors.  With the spiral bands, there are more color choices.  This batch of chicks there are 17.  So needed quite a few different colors to be able to individually ID them.  Put bands on the right leg to indicate one breeding pen and on the left leg for the other breeding pen.

We ID individually with colored spiral bands and then with metal numbered bands that are a different color for each year hatched.

Don't forget that you can use more than 1 color zip tie at one time, you can make up an endless combination of colors using left side, right side, double bands, multiple bands on one leg vs. another leg, bands on each leg, etc. You could be creative and have endless combinations with just a few colors.

Got a phone call today from a old time Rock Breeder asking me if I would put together a article for the Plymouth Rock Club Newsletter. More less a round up of who has what colors of Plymouth Rock Large Fowl.

There are not many old time master breeders of PLymouth Rocks left that is folks that have been breeding consitiently for 15 to 30 years. A few that have hit the ten year mark and a few who have stuck with it for five years or a little more. As always many I mean many get into them but get out about as fast.

So Need your help.

Where did you get eggs or chicks this year in large fowl Plymouth Rocks?

Whites

Barreds

Silver Penciled very rare

Partridge very rare

Buff super rare

Columbian biggest come back of all thanks to Yard full of Rocks.

How many of you got some Columbians from Scott?

Tell me what is out there in your view. I will think as well in my mind who has what and maybe we can kick around more interest among the nearly 200 Plymouth Rock Fanicers Club members to get some large fowl Rocks. Bantams are the norm in this club most have the different kinds. Getting started is hard as you almost have to drive to the breeders home or meet them at a show as they don't sell eggs or chicks. Cant blame them its not easy, and most of them have jobs and don't have time to fool with this event.

Look forward to your posts then I will write the article say Friday and email it to the editor.

Horst man Urch are the big chick supplier in a few colors. Jamie Duckworth in North Carolina have lost track of him did any one get any from him in the last year?

Jeremy of course has shipped some barreds from Frank in Kansas, as well as Kathy from Mo and his new strain of white rocks.

Has anyone got any barred rocks from Kraig Shaffer line in Ohio? How about the Cris out in Calif? Marvin Sugler from Arizona with his barred rock line? Hope to hear from you on this message board and thank you.

Foot note just took a look at the white rock bantam ckl and yet so young he has such outstanding type. So maybe I lost the two hens but got a great son and can give this to my partners and we will be off to the races next year in the breeding pen.

I posted this on the Plymouth Rock board. Need any input you may have on sleeper cell Plymouth Rock Strains out there and if you have any and who you got them from.

I think we found a nice strain of Silver Penciled Rocks in Canada back in January. I don't know if anyone got eggs from this lady and hatched them. She had no idea what she had and they where very nice in my view.

Look forward to your post or if you don't want to post send me a personnel message. Some times its not a positive experience and I will keep it to my self I never bad mouth anyone on there shipping of eggs or chicks. Its a very difficult think to do in the first place. I thank all of you who have tried to share your large fowl with beginners this spring. I can tell you in the past three years we have about tripled the populations of most breeds that are out there with your involvement.
Bob,

This year I have hatched LF BR from Frank Reese (15) , Jamie Duckworth (11), and Marvin Stukel (only got 2): All these are still in the brooders or grow out pens. I am particularly excited about the BR from Jamie Duckworth, who I found through an older article I believe you may have written.
Jamie's eggs overall had the best development: 11 of 14 hatched. I believe the hatch rate on the other eggs was negatively affected by rough handling during shipping: They suffered substantial air cell damage and detachment. Overall, I am very pleased with the what I was able to hatch though.

Has anyone done wing banding and have you found a site that explains it?
You already have the application procedure.
The wing tags have pros and cons
Pro - permanent and do not have to change size with growth
lots of colors and numbers available
Cons - feathers make visual ID hard for individual birds
someone said you can't show with them or any ID tag- but they are removable

Cons - someone said you can't show with them or any ID tag- but they are removable

I have heard both that you can show with wing bands and that you cannot show with wing bands on your birds. I have shown with them on before and have never had a bird DQed for it but have only been to a few small shows. Can one of the Judges reading this thread please clear this up for me once and for all?

1) Can you show a bird with a wing band and not be DQed for it at a Lg show?
2) Can you show a bird that has been toe punched and not be DQed for it at a Lg show?

Like I said I do both and have not had a problem so far but would like to know if this is OK or not.

Thanks,
Chris

Also, has anyone bought chicks from Virginia from Joel Gilman? What did you get?

How many people have Mottled Javas. I do?

If you got a new incubator this year what model did you get and how did it perform?

Toe punching has been done for decades. Right from the incubator to the brooder box.

Great responses hope you have many nice birds growing up for you who don't know this you can get a

account at Picturetrail.com or Photo bucket then post your pictures on there so we can see them. May help with your feed bill so you don't keep some longer than you should.
Decided not to mess with wing banding - I like to be able to ID a chicken from far away. Especially when I am looking at them for flaws and planning breeding.

Have Mottled Javas, chicks through adults, with more hatching literally right now. Have more due to hatch in a few days, then will stop hatching until fall/winter. The juveniles are looking good and the chicks are growing like weeds. Have a 4 month old cockerel that is turning out good so far except for too many comb points and some white in the wings. But he is turning out darker than his father and may not end up with the white in the tail that his father and grandfather have - which is a good thing. Looking like he has a nice long back and good thick legs.

Will be happy to relieve you of some of those Mottleds you have Bob when you are ready.
big_smile.png

New incubator was meant to be only a hatcher but ended up using it as both incubator and hatcher - Hovabator Genesis. Wasn't really impressed with it at first - better after adding the after-market humidity control pump, with good incubation and hatching. Seriously thinking about making my own so I can get exactly what I want in an incubator and hatcher.

I have heard both that you can show with wing bands and that you cannot show with wing bands on your birds. I have shown with them on before and have never had a bird DQed for it but have only been to a few small shows. Can one of the Judges reading this thread please clear this up for me once and for all?

1) Can you show a bird with a wing band and not be DQed for it at a Lg show?
2) Can you show a bird that has been toe punched and not be DQed for it at a Lg show?

Like I said I do both and have not had a problem so far but would like to know if this is OK or not.

Thanks,
Chris

You can show a bird with a wing band and/or a toe punch without any penalty.

Walt

Also, has anyone bought chicks from Virginia from Joel Gilman? What did you get?

How many people have Mottled Javas. I do?

If you got a new incubator this year what model did you get and how did it perform?

Toe punching has been done for decades. Right from the incubator to the brooder box.

Great responses hope you have many nice birds growing up for you who don't know this you can get a

account at Picturetrail.com or Photo bucket then post your pictures on there so we can see them. May help with your feed bill so you don't keep some longer than you should

I'm feeling fortunate today....
I just found out that Tom Roebuck is sending me @ 18+ LF BUFF ROCK eggs.
bow.gif
woot.gif

He usually does not sell eggs, chicks or started birds...But he's breaking up his Rock breeder pens next week and has collected/saved some this week ...too hot to ship birds now, so he offered me hatching eggs. He reported good hatches. He's expressing them like 'lives' to reduce air cell damage and hopefully increase hatch rate...I've have decent hatches with shipped eggs even done with priority only shipping..fingers crossed. He says he will most likely have adults available in the Fall and will be able to ship then.

Thanks to everyone that referred me etc....
highfive.gif

P.S. Tom says his Buffs may not beat the Whites right now, but they are getting close in comparison...size and body are there...just fine tuning some 'details'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom