Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
YHF, I tried all spring to get leghorns from Mr. Urch. He had none available. I left the order in place hoping for some next year. I do have a trio of Egyptian Fayoumi I'm playing around with, and find them similar in some ways to leghorns.

YHF, I tried all spring to get leghorns from Mr. Urch. He had none available. I left the order in place hoping for some next year. I do have a trio of Egyptian Fayoumi I'm playing around with, and find them similar in some ways to leghorns.
Have you checked in the Poultry Press or APA yearbook yet?

Thanks. Did you note the feather width of that bird? I have to pick up all birds like that when I judge them. LF Brahma's are a handful.

w.
LOL.......... Better add bar bells to the Cheerios then ! I thought I could too until these girls and boys matured. Great feather width and condition ! How could anyone miss that ? You practically need shades to look at her.

LOL.......... Better add bar bells to the Cheerios then ! I thought I could too until these girls and boys matured. Great feather width and condition ! How could anyone miss that ? You practically need shades to look at her.
So this a totel newbie question - I see many photographs of people holding birds that way and my mind cannot figure out how you all keep the birds so still. I just picture getting flailed in the face with wings
hide.gif
Do you need to train them from a young age or is it just natural for them? All of my birds let me pick them up but none of them seem happy about it.

On another note, I received my APA yearbook last night
droolin.gif

Quote: I think I am right that Dark Brown are Partridge and Light Brown are stippled like wildtype?
I will go double check.
Karen
===============
Oh, ok these 2 articles explain why my thinking on the colors might be off. I do read the older books and was studying the
two Brown Leghorns back when they were wrangling about the need for double
mating early last century as part of my study on wildtype birds.

http://www.theleghornclub.com/TextAOV.htm
http://www.theleghornclub.com/TextPartridge.htm
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
So this a totel newbie question - I see many photographs of people holding birds that way and my mind cannot figure out how you all keep the birds so still. I just picture getting flailed in the face with wings
hide.gif
Do you need to train them from a young age or is it just natural for them? All of my birds let me pick them up but none of them seem happy about it.

droolin.gif
At a show you will see judges scooping up bantams, and most large fowl, by supporting their keels in the palm of their hand, and sometimes trapping their hocks between their fingers. As long as the birds are supported in a calm manner , very few birds struggle. I wrote on a thread that most people who do not show, do not know how to pick up a bird. The birds are then uncomfortable, and give you a hard time.

Take a look at what you can see about that bird Walt is holding. You can see that she has great wide feathering and condition, all her tail feathers with a nice spread tail, and all her wing feathers. Walt can get a good look at her comb and head too, while judging her depth of keel, and her weight. He can see her feet and legs, checking for color and stubs also. No telling what else he might see if he puts his glasses on !

hide.gif

droolin.gif

You must not be holding them right. When judging I have to handle 300-500 birds in a day and I can't have them beating on me. The bird needs to know that you have a good hold of it or it will flap all over the place. It is mostly the support of your palm, but I also have the legs immobilized. I can hold them upside down without them moving around.

Walt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom