Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bob, thanks for the kind words and especially thanks for your help and keen eye with culling these Barreds. I am very hopeful that I can cull don to 6-10 really nice pullets and 3 great males and hatch 25-40 birds next spring over a 2 week period and that way culling will be much much eaiser. The Rouen came form Jean Doerfliens birds and they are really nice. Hopefully I can cull to a nice 2 cockerels and 4 nice pullets to hatch from next year. I also plan to eat at least one of these heritage showducks and see how they finish and how they taste. If anyone is intersted in these Schaffer Barreds or these rouens let me know and I will try and set you up.

Here's a few quick pics of the Buff Rocks at 5 weeks.
These are 2 cockerels that made it in front of the camera....think I'm 'male heavy' on this hatch.
roll.png
...may not be a bad thing since I've read the buff coloration from the male should be most prepotent for future breeding...so, having more than a few to choose from may actually be the best thing.
I need to get some proper ones of all of them grazing...they were out on grass for the first time...they've had the opportunity for over 3 weeks, but just got the courage to head out in the open grass area today...but alas, no camera...just enjoyed watching them at twilight
wink.png

WOW, good looking birds. I like the color on them. Nice golden color.

Quote: Ah! I never saw anything written about ramps, and I simply copied what I seemed to see in other people's ramps. But yes, they could be skidding and bumping into those things! I will add 1X1's to it. I'm glad only two of my girls have a problem. I treated them today, and hope they will heal well.
fl.gif
I honestly thought I'd never have to worry about bumblefoot! I've got a few adjustments to make in that coop! Thank you for those instructions because I wouldn't have guessed!

NICE... NH's (pure german?)

Hi, Yes, from what I was told pure German NH, F2s. Took a couple of pictures with my phone this evening as I let them out to mill around in the grass. A friend got these for me in the late spring. April hatch sometime. Wish I had more of these. But I have 2 cockerels and 2 pullets to work with. I really like them. They have a lot of vigor, energy, growing like weeds. Just thought I post a pic or 2 just to see what others thought of them. It's difficult to submit a pic post from a phone.

Hi, Yes, from what I was told pure German NH, F2s. Took a couple of pictures with my phone this evening as I let them out to mill around in the grass. A friend got these for me in the late spring. April hatch sometime. Wish I had more of these. But I have 2 cockerels and 2 pullets to work with. I really like them. They have a lot of vigor, energy, growing like weeds. Just thought I post a pic or 2 just to see what others thought of them. It's difficult to submit a pic post from a phone.
NH's are nice birds all around...both the german lines and the half and half's...hatched some of the GSBR/German cross this year...it seems everyone really enjoys them! It appears you have some nice stock to work with going forward.

Thanks cbnovick. Agree, much of what I hear is that many people really do enjoy the German and German-American NH's. Can someone tell me is there are a real difference in the color of the "pure" Germans vs the German-American crosses? I guess it would depend on the line used in the cross. I have read that the German birds are brighter or richer in color, unlike the Amercian birds are more drab.

Last edited:

Now that you mention it I've heard about the honey. Had not heard the same about sugar. Makes sense. Thanks.

Sugar in a poultice draws out infection and helps re-establish healthy pH balance to the tissue, which aids in healing. I believe it also acts as an antibacterial/anti-fungal, though the iodine would as well. But I've used a sugar/betadine poultice before to help treat a hoof abcess in my horse, at my vets recommendation. Same basic treatment, pack with poultice and wrap with duct tape.

I think I will try this. Thanks!

Quote:
You followed this quoted post saying you had decided to keep the birds a while (yay!) but I wanted to reinforce Fred's comments. When I got my javas in January I wound up with a 2:1 ratio of cockerels to pullets. I wanted to cull a lot of the cockerels when they were 2-3 months old. Everybody told me to wait. I did cull a few but I am very glad I did not cull heavily. The wise ones were right - those runt cockerels are growing up to be handsome birds now that they are 6-7 months old. Some are turning out to have better overall type than the birds that got big quickly, and some of them are just as large as the formerly largest birds. One of them who had a pinched tail when he was younger has actually widened out in the rear. I didn't think that was possible. He's not as wide as I'd like but he's much better than he was. He may even be a keeper.

I honestly thought I'd never have to worry about bumblefoot! I've got a few adjustments to make in that coop! Thank you for those instructions because I wouldn't have guessed!

LOL! I thought I'd never have to worry about bumblefoot, either. Heatstroke, yes. Bumblefoot, no. But there it is - the birds have bumblefoot and they've come through the heat like little champs. Life is a learning experience. Good luck with your coop adjustments!

Sarah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom