Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just very interesting. I know you are from a different part of WA. Is your testing vet Dr. Bab***? If you don't mind me asking? I was under the impression there should NOT be intra-state regional differences (even if states vary)... I'm not going to give up, that's sure. I'd rather just keep 6 "full time" HRIR... and some extra hens for daily eggs, and maybe a trio or 2 of something 'fun' that it won't matter if I get ***ed up :) Or not. At least until I can get access to more space, and have actually been breeding something 'right' for a while. I had an hour long chat with a delightful vet tech at the Puyallup lab, and she's going to bend some ears for me... Heh.
I know from talking to folks that there's multiple inspectors down here. I haven't done it yet because I'm not done acquiring birds so it's much less hassle to get all my birds done and situated and then get the NPIP before next spring so I can ship.

For getting silver Campines try Ideal Poultry.....but it may be to late in the year
Actually, I got my first SC from the feed store, who got them from Ideal. They were healthy and had the quirky personality and strong foraging drive that made me fall in love with them. They also had some major faults that I am trying to avoid with my foundation breeder stock. When I first started looking for breeders, I wasn't having much luck and thought I would have to start with chicks from Ideal and work up from there. Luckily, I have found these lines that are years ahead of where I would be if that were the case. Thanks for thinking about it and letting me know, I am still hoping there is an awesome sleeper flock out there somewhere that I can tap into.

Once in a blue Moon Mr. Fox will get some good birds from a breeder he did this with Buff Brahma Bantams a few years ago. He got a bunch of eggs from a breeder in Ohio who had great ones. Normally, they are 89 point chickens and to breed them up would take 20 years or near impossible as they are all washed out with traits for the breed such as Light Brahmas.

That was the reason I asked. He provides a great surface to the back yard industry healthy birds but that is it . I want to let some of you lurker know something when it comes to dogs I am a rescue person I donate about $500 a year to help one of our shelters and I have two rescue dogs. That is what these chickens are at the feed stores. They are want to be type chickens but to preserver and try to keep these old breeds going they won't cut it. If someone brought me a few barred rock hatcheries chickens from a lady who might have died and asked me to keep them I would. I would find homes for them and move onward.

When a new person asks me to help them locate Capines or White Face Black Spanish or Cornish I will seek out the top lines in the USA so we don't lose valuable time in their search. Sometimes it might require the person to get two batches of eggs or chicks to start with to compare the two strains and it might require a cross of the two strains if they are not of much quality to try to improve them.

If the stains are very good such as Buff Orpingtons, Rhode Island Reds Barred Plymouth Rocks, New Hampshire's you do not want to cross the strains but keep the best strain that doe3ws the best for you on your yards. Then you put together a two family line breeding program for say two to three years so you get the hang of what you are doing.

I try to encourage beginners to keep it simple breed for type only and vigor. Have two males and two or three excellent females you can have spare females for eggs but hatch about 40 top chicks from these two females. Some of the best breeders I have studied do not hatch a lot of chicks per year. They only hatch from their best females and that is how they move upwards and improve their stock. If they show their birds many of these people are the top winners around the country. So if they do it this way why can't we.

Hope this clears this up for two people who kind of asked me how to put a line breeding program together and how many birds do you need. I think it can be done with a great trio. But what happens if the male dies on you. You got to have a back up male and two have a two family system it's nice to have two males and two females to put the line breeding program to geahter. You can go on for five years without worrying doubt new blood or vigor and by then you can get eggs or chicks or a new bird from that source or a sub source to add to your flock.

Keep up the good search found another good source for you to get eggs and chicks from in Wisconsin Butch Gunderson I will have his web site for you. Need to contact these people I am telling you about now. To reserve your orders for chicks for next spring. Don't wait till March to contact them or it will be too late. It's like a reservation at a restaurant it does not cost anything to do it and when you go there your table is ready for you to order.

Last edited:
Some of the best breeders I have studied do not hatch a lot of chicks per year. They only hatch from their best females and that is how they move upwards and improve their stock. If they show their birds many of these people are the top winners around the country. So if they do it this way why can't we.

Cant remember the name, but when I was a kid an older fella kept RIR Bantams at his home in downtown Louisville. He only kept about 7-8 birds at a time and would win consistently in the area.

Quote: You could take some Gro-Gel Plus with you. Doesn't cost much and has everything they need in nutrition for them in case they don't want the feed. (Do chickens go "off their feed" in stressful situations? ) If it was me, I would be bringing Poultry Nutri-Drench for the birds. Made by Bovidr Labs, a specialty company which only makes emergency nutritional supplements for animals and fowl, this liquid shunts directly into the bloodstream. Measurable in the bloodstream in minutes & 50% uptake in 30 minutes. Very concentrated, a little bit goes a long way. It brings back creatures teetering on the edge of collapse from stress. The 7.-10. dollar bottle is plenty. ( available everywhere online or at Tractor Supply or Agway ( I found TSC has the best price, 6.99).
Here is their website, 800,000+ birds agree. http://www.bovidr.com/poultry.html Turn your sound on before you go to the page as there is a good audio explanation which starts as soon as the page comes up. Have used this companies products on my collies and poultry for over a decade. Drop directly into their mouths with dropper (comes with bottle) or put in their water.
Best,
Karen in western PA, USA

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Blosl

Some of the best breeders I have studied do not hatch a lot of chicks per year. They only hatch from their best females and that is how they move upwards and improve their stock. If they show their birds many of these people are the top winners around the country. So if they do it this way why can't we.
Simple answer: because of the tremendous amount of research and study it takes to get to know the nuances of a breed, balance 'excellence' correctly in the abstract and cull selectively when working with a small number of breeder animals. There simply isn't room for error.
Can it be done? Oh yes. Do most novices wish to invest the time needed? No. It's much easier to do complementary matings and that takes more birds. If done correctly, both methods result in excellence. The first method is 90% theoretical, with most all time spent in in theory, study, and calculation based on knowledge and proven plans for concentrating virtue in pedigrees. . The 2nd is mostly physical with time spent handling the birds and physically determining the best complementary mating. The 2 processes do overlap in their workings, but basically, that's how they work.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Keep up the good search found another good source for you to get eggs and chicks from in Wisconsin Butch Gunderson I will have his web site for you. Need to contact these people I am telling you about now. To reserve your orders for chicks for next spring. Don't wait till March to contact them or it will be too late. It's like a reservation at a restaurant it does not cost anything to do it and when you go there your table is ready for you to order.
I think this is your link -- butchsbirds.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom