Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening all, 

I need some breeding advise PLEASE

For those of you who don't know me, I breed Standard Columbian Plymouth Rocks

I was looking over my 2013 pullets to determine who/which ones to keep.  I have kept 2 hens from 2012 hatch (2013 breeders).  My plans were to keep the 2 older hens and breed them back to a son in 2014, and breed the pullets back to their sire.

My quandary is this....my pullets are MUCH better than the 2 hens in type and color (much better tails, long backs, great front ends), and the 2 hens were the best I had from last yr.

Do I get rid of the older hens and keep only the improved pullets or do I stay with my plan even though the pullets are better than their mothers?

Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Scott

I would breed from the pullets only, but if you have space to hold onto hens I would. In case something happens, or longer term if the pullets don't produce better offspring. They should continue to produce better, but...it doesn't always happen for whatever reason.

Okay, I am NOT an experienced breeder, but I think if I were faced with this decision, I would keep with the original plan and also breed the pullets back to their father. Like Matt said, anything could happen and the offspring of the pullets are not proven, yet. It could be that you get even more of those lovely pullets from the two hens to use in the coming years.

Last edited:
I would like to know the correct terminology for the feather pictured below. There is a small feather growing from the same shaft as the larger feather. My H RIR is 19 weeks old and I found these feathers today. Do all breeds have this characteristic? Thank you.
I am unsure of that, but I have one bird(a pullet) with an odd feathering characteristic as well. She has, in the lower part of her hackle, an abundance of these.

The first section is the length of her normal hackle feathers. Then off the tips are these extensions, which have a shaft to them. I am unsure of what this is/what causes this. But it sure does look interesting.

Okay, I am NOT an experienced breeder, but I think if I were faced with this decision, I would keep with the original plan and also breed the pullets back to their father.  Like Matt said, anything could happen and the offspring of the pullets are not proven, yet.  It could be that you get even more of those lovely pullets from the two hens to use in the coming years.

that's what I would do too

w.

Yard full of rocks-- I would keep the 2 hens. THey afterall produced what you have now. I would breed them again to add to the 2 pullets from this year. THis will also keep the genetics a little broader for one more year. Just my opionion of course.

-----------------------

To anyone who might have an answer--

I need to ship a few birds. Adults, heavy chickens. Not sure of the final number yet. Looks like 2 hens and 2 roosters and some juveniles. I'm at a loss as to which shipping boxes are the best to use. Not clear on sizing, and not clear about the quality of the box. If you have experience with shipping standard fowl, I would love to hear from you.

Can I join? I have a HRIR pullet. She doesn't look that good right now because she's had a limp she has been getting over and she is really muddy because it has been non stop rain here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom