Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was advised by an old-time breeder that chicks that are helped from the egg will have issues with their legs and feet. This is because they have not stimulated the blood flow into the legs and feet by pushing up against the shell to move themselves out of the shell.
This is another reason for not doing more than keeping the membrane from drying out by checking the humidity level on the hatcher.

I was advised by an old-time breeder that chicks that are helped from the egg will have issues with their legs and feet. This is because they have not stimulated the blood flow into the legs and feet by pushing up against the shell to move themselves out of the shell.
This is another reason for not doing more than keeping the membrane from drying out by checking the humidity level on the hatcher.
I agree with this story.

w.

Nice little SPR bantam male.

w.
They always seem to have such fantastic leg color, too, the bantams.

I've always started my chicks on puppy pads, for the first couple days, and then right to shavings in either a large stock tank (galvanized) or on concrete floor.

I often wonder if crooked toes are due to growing them too quickly. Too much weight of body before legs/feet are ready for it?

I took some pics for Walt at twin tiers..and western NY show..I wanted to get the ducks but the aisle was crowded and judge was trying to work so I figured he didnt need me elbowing through there too, A white Rock took LF..she was fantastic ! near perfect as one can be and perfect color.. an assortment of different breeds ..the bottom pic is champion row..the white rock LF champion was to the left of big butterfeild.. they opened the door to get a good look at colors.
Lovely! The name Butterfields kind of made me chuckle because I didn't remember you'd named him that and a few weeks ago I started calling my pullets "The Butterbutts"

Thanks, PEI - I love that the program comes full circle, even offering chicken pot pies made from spent layers. Awesome. LOVE IT!

I know another member was there & took a ton of pics. I'll ask her to post some of the H fowl here on this thread. She met Bill (said he was a super nice man) and a few BYC members, too. Neat stuff.

and she was a very pleasant lady. Had a nice conversation that kept being interrupted by peole wanting feedback on their birds.
Both shows went well. I was pleased to see that many of the same birds made it up front on both days but in some cases it was an obvious choice. I judged the Americans & when I got to that White Rock I just went "OH", she was a beauty. I was surprised on Saturday when I saw a Barred Cochin was best Asiatic but when I judged the class on Sunday it went the same way [different bird though]. There were several very nice Barreds from the same exhibitor. It helped that the class was large but not very deep. I also judged the AOSBs & came away bleeding after doing the Old English Games. The males were fine but the hens kept biting chunks out of me hands.
Bill Patterson was there with some nice Rosecombs including the nicest White Pullet i've seen in many years. She was reserve RCCL in the Saturday show. There was a big class on Modern Game Bantams with many very nice birds & as usual lots of nice OEGBS.
There were some good birds available for sale outside but not as many as usual. I think that with increasing feed costs & other economic factors people weren't raising as many birds as usual this year.
ALL in all it was a nice weekend.

Last edited:
Bill, sorry to hear about those feisty gamebird hens thinking your skin was a nice protein treat for them during their stay. I'm glad you met up with Barb & had time to chat. Hmmm...I wonder if the president of the Giant club had anything at the show (he lives up that way)? Did you happend to see any nice Black Giants while judging the Americans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom