Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice job !!!!! Like to see more photos.

No problem, Here are a few more..I lost my camera for a while but got right around where judges wernt working. I met blarneyseggs , her kids were doing showmanship..shes a sweet person..and the kids had a good time..Met Matt and his family, and Deric, and many more..

the judges opened the door to get a close in the daylight look at colors

My White orp K

wyandotte

Pinched tails can and does refer to both planes of geometry.

The Standard has great drawings of these faults and really helps to demonstrate them.
Beyond the standard for each breed, the Book, the Standard of Perfection has an awesome opening section of over 40 pages that is the bible on chicken formation.

Thanks, Fred. I have looked at the pics above, and still wasn't sure this was what is called "pinched tail." I was thinking this is referring to the anatomical structure of the body (which I know affects the feather placement) more than the actual carriage of the tail feathers. Yes, I understand that the two are inseparably linked, but I wondered, looking from the side, which version is called "pinched tail."

So I understand you to say that it applies to both the skinny, whip-like tails, as well as the narrow based fan tail.

I have read the SOP, but didn't retain much of it because I was overwhelmed with new information! I'm such a NOOB! I will go back now that I have questions and read it all again.

One more question, which more common breed, would you say, is closest to the Campines in type? I want to study pictures of birds of the correct type but can't find many of SQ Campines. I was thinking that if there is another breed that should have the same body type, I may be able to get more pics to look at. I can find lots of pics of "pretty good" Campines, but not "KNOCK your SOCKS off!" ones like in the other breeds. I was hoping there is another breed that is the same shape (type) just in different colors, combs, etc.

Last edited:
Sorry I lost some of the pics of the maylay and assil? Sorry about the spelling..I will look on the other card reader

Any breeders let broodies hatch and raise their chicks ... ? Any breeders letting broodies hatch and raise chicks in with a "production" flock?

Besides it being easier on *me,* the broody hatched and raised chicks are just so marvelously active and independent from such an early age. I couldn't do better myself.

If you are asking about letting a hen raise chicks in with a flock of production hens inside a pen, you are probably going to loose chicks. The chicks will have different feed needs and would be much happier and healthier if they and the mother hen were kept separate from the other hens.

Last edited:
If you are asking about letting a hen raise chicks in with a flock of production hens inside a pen, you are probably going to loose chicks. The chicks will have different feed needs and would be much happier and healthier if they and the mother hen were kept separate from the other hens.

Would that be because the heritage chicks are special, or would this be true for any old chick?

No problem, Here are a few more..I lost my camera for a while but got right around where judges wernt working. I met blarneyseggs , her kids were doing showmanship..shes a sweet person..and the kids had a good time..Met Matt and his family, and Deric, and many more..

the judges opened the door to get a close in the daylight look at colors

My White orp K

wyandotte

Thanks for sharing.

I posted this over on the Plymouth Rock thread....thought I'd share my thoughts here as well

Evening all...

I had a good long sit with the birds tonight and I think I've finally selected the 3 pullets I will keep for next season and BOY it got much harder this year, I guess that's a good thing

I selected 3 pullets as follows

1 to be as close to a perfect female as possible (mostly in case my youngest son wants to show her)...great type (nice front end, long back, slight tail lift, nice wide skull), no black spots/mossiness on her back, nice tail lacing, no cushion, light colored butt fluff, great bright yellow legs, good balance and medium/light undercolor. Likely will not breed from her 9unless there is some catastrophe here) as her undercolor is too light

1 with decent type but extremely rich/dark undercolor, dark/well laced hackles, some mossiness in her back, slightly higher tail than standard, great yellow legs. My plans are to use her to improve my males in two ways - the striping in the hackles/saddles AND tail lift

Finally,

1 with the best type of any females I have plus a little on the large side. She is almost 8 lbs at 9 months old. She will be used to maintain overall type/size on my female side and hopefully add a bit of weight to my males and improve the length of backs. The males aren't really lacking in weight vs the standard, BUT, I need size if I'm gonna compete with the White Rocks

I seem to have made really good progress on my females, so next year my focus is going to be on the males as they are quite a bit behind my females in terms of improvement. After I get these 3 separated from the rest of the flock, I'll post pictures of each of them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom