Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking forward to attending the show, and will take some photos of the Heritage Poultry to share on this thread. This will be my very first Poultry Show which I am quite excited about, and hopefully, next year I will be showing my own birds there : )

Lual
Good seeing you at the Heirloom Festival today. I am working my way through this thread. I am still hundreds of pages behind but enjoying the read.

Good seeing you at the Heirloom Festival today.   I am working my way through this thread.  I am still hundreds of pages behind but enjoying the read.  

I enjoyed our time together at the show as well! It was fun, and being with a friend made it more enjoyable : ) I am very happy that you joined this thread, Deann! It is the best thread filled with wonderful, experienced breeders who share their knowledge graciously. I think you will like it here...WELCOME!!!!

I will also be giving an APA judges test and conducting a seminar on Delaware chickens at 5:30.
Thank you again for all your help!

I looked over my photos of the one that looked like his tail was too low.

i'm hoping to be there sometime this afternoon, and will definitely say hi!
Quote:
I am looking forward to attending the show, and will take some photos of the Heritage Poultry to share on this thread.
Sorry that I missed you both.

And thanks so much to Daphne for helping me haul birds back and forth.

Careful Lual ! You're going to get hooked ! Have fun !

Thank you! Well, I am hopelessly hooked; have the show bug : ) It was a wonderful experience; much different than dog shows.. There were quite a bit of spectators, and was delightful to see the birds, and talk to couple of the breeders, and learn about their birds. Now I understand why Lynne was cage training her Orps. The cages were small, which I don't think any of my birds would have liked it, and the fact that the people were able to get so close to the cages would have scared them. Yes, I will definitely have to train, get them used to being confined in a cage. The only thing worried me was that; some spectators were sticking their fingers into the cages trying to touch the birds, and a couple opened up the doors of some cages to take pictures which worried me. When I show, I think I will be camping out where my birds are..
While I was there, there were only a couple of HLF displayed: 1 Buff Orp., 3 Buckeyes, and 4 Brahma. There were good number of Marans. One particular Brahma hen was simply gorgeous! Unfortunately, her photos did not come out presentable which is a shame...
I was able to see Walt's judging, and watch him take the birds out with such ease without causing any fright to the birds. Zen, the art of bird handling : )

capayvalleychick
Quote:
Sorry that I missed you both.

Hello Kim, I am sorry to have missed you too. I am really sad that I could not stay long enough; but, due to predator problems which we have been having for the last 6 wks. I have to get a chicken-sitter when I have to leave the house during daylight hours. My sitter could only stay until 5:30 because she has young children.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/5963886/width/350/height
/700

Last edited:
Thanks, yeah there is no way it could be single mated. You need too many eggs too quickly. Will I actually toe punch chicks in front of the mother hen? She is going to be furious, but I have already seen chicks switch mothers. Hopefully I can figure out a rudimentary system for my first year out. The good news is, that I may have some chickens worth keeping, quite by accident, really. I will know more in a couple months. Thanks again for your help.

Mark

Funny about that "too many eggs" thing. When saving eggs to incubate viability drops off sharply if you keep them more than 10 days. However, a hen may lay for 2 weeks or more before taking to the nest & many of those older eggs will hatch. Can't compete with nature.

There were good number of Marans.
I know the Marans Chicken Club's regional director, Pete Ovalle, showed several Marans; I'm still waiting to hear from him on how he did. Walt has judged his birds before and liked them, so I'm hopeful he did well!

If anyone is in the area...I will be judging the Baker Creek Seed Heritage Expo here in Santa Rosa today. I will also be giving an APA judges test and conducting a seminar on Delaware chickens at 5:30. Say hello if you are on here.

w.

Any chance there is a video or transcript or ... something ... of the Delaware seminar for those of us who missed it?

I know the Marans Chicken Club's regional director, Pete Ovalle, showed several Marans; I'm still waiting to hear from him on how he did. Walt has judged his birds before and liked them, so I'm hopeful he did well!
He had best Continental with a Marans female.

w.

Last edited:
Any chance there is a video or transcript or ... something ... of the Delaware seminar for those of us who missed it?
Sorry, I couldn't find anyone to video it.

I know Walt and NYReds are very busy, but I wish that they could visit the thread for those of us raising Kathy's strain of Delawares. We have so many questions and need help to do this right.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/777172/delawares-from-kathyinmo

One of the things that I learned is that this is a slow developing line. NYReds, have you found that to be true with yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom