Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really hot out today about 92. Just got done mowing the lawn about 3acres. I had some Delawares a few years ago and about three weeks ago I bought some 4 month old pullets because I missed the Dels. They are out free ranging along with my New Hampshire pullets. I guess I kind of forgot how much them Dels like to hunt and are on the move most of the time. The NH pullets were laying in the shade. Also I missed the wonderful personality of the Dels. It's good to have them again.

Wowza...hope you used a tractor...or at least a tractor mower....would love to see photos of your birds on that freshly cut grass...sure you stirred up plenty of bugs in the process--bonus!

lual..glad you got out to a show..you learn something every show...its a blast.. .you can have double coops for your birds..and it really helped the buff..that way they arnt crowded..pleanty of room..especially if its a 2 day show..so glad you got to see it..lot easier than dog or horse show and so easy to transport..

Does anyone know how often the ALBC updates thier endangered chicken breed list?

Greetings! I'm not sure of how often they update it. However, a year or so ago they reformatted how they gage rarity at which point they ruined the worth of their list. They politicized their categories. For instance they now have Houdans and La Fleche in the "watch" class because of their perceived world population. Houdans and La Fleche are some of the rarest LF poultry in America today. In short, their list is bogus.

When considering Standard-bred poultry, the safest bet is to assume it's rare. The question is whether the existing stock is in good quality or poor quality. The ALBC Educational Materials are excellent. Their Endangered Breeds list is strongly misleading and not worth consulting.

Greetings! I'm not sure of how often they update it. However, a year or so ago they reformatted how they gage rarity at which point they ruined the worth of their list. They politicized their categories. For instance they now have Houdans and La Fleche in the "watch" class because of their perceived world population. Houdans and La Fleche are some of the rarest LF poultry in America today. In short, their list is bogus.

When considering Standard-bred poultry, the safest bet is to assume it's rare. The question is whether the existing stock is in good quality or poor quality. The ALBC Educational Materials are excellent. Their Endangered Breeds list is strongly misleading and not worth consulting.

The problem with the ALBC's classifications is with their data collection [also true of the SPPA]. They make their determinizations based on polling of their members only. In other words if only 2 ALBC members respond that they raise a particular breed the classification decision would be based on the assumption that only two people raise that breed.
They classify as endangered or threatened several breeds you can order 100 at a time from several hatcheries.

The fairs ive been to have been 75percent bantams 25 percent LF. And I havent seen one Barnevelder!!!!!!

I saw a Barnvelder coop tag in PA this summer-unfortunately the bird didn't make it. Too bad, I was looking forward to seeing the first one I'd seen in years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom