Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some photos of a couple pens I built using modular panels.

Pen #1
10'x 20' x 6'.
Total number of panels used: 8
Lumber used: 2x2

Side panels: 10x6 (5) I used two panels to make each side, 1 panel for the back and 1 door panel which attaches to the coop.
Roof Panels: 10'x 10' (2)
Door Panel: (1) Custom built to fit this coop.

DYI Ruff Estimated Cost for this run: $215.60 (does not include roof or coop)
Side Panels 6 X $20.20 = $121
Roof Panels 2 X $32.20= $64.40
Extra 2" x 2" boards to support roof 6 x $2 = $12

Estimated cost for each 10'x 6' side panel: $23.20 each
Estimated Cost for roof panels: $32.20 each

See calculations below:

Wire: a 150 X 3 foot roll of wire cost $65. I used 20 linear feet per side panel at $.46 per linear foot. Cost for Wire: $8.60
Lumber: 2"x2" X 10 cost $3.00 per board. I used 5 per panel= $15. The corner braces were made out of scraps.

Total Cost for a 10' x 6' Panel: $ 23.20
Roof Panels: wire: 30 linear feet of wire $13.80, lumber $12 cost per roof panel: $32.20

Here are some picture of Pen #1

Roof is reinforced with extra 2"x2"s

Custom built panel fits around coop. Door is built into this panel

Junction where the side panels and roof panels meet

Corner junction. I hang feeder up at night from to keep rodents from eating food.

Pen #2 ON A SLOPE

Modular panels are great when the ground is flat, and not so great when you have a slope. The slope here was so significant that we had to prop the side panels up to make them level. (please note the triangle on the ground). We could have avoided propping up the panels by putting the coop in the run, but the pen would have been tilted I like the coops on the outside of the run so they don't take up run space, and so I can collect eggs with out going inside.

These runs are built with 16'x 8' panels. We saved panels by putting pens side by side so they could share interior panels.

Here is the photo of how the panels are propped up to be level

These panels were built the same height (8 feet) but because of the slope we had to raise the side panel up and then attach it to the front panel. Notice the different levels. In this photo, you can see the slope is in excess of 1' per 16' based on the different heights of the panels.

Four 16' panels will create two 8' x 16' runs with a wire divider in the middle.

When the budget allows, I will cover these runs with a corrugated roof. This sunshade is just over 1 year old and already torn in multiple places.

It made a whole lot of light bulbs go off for variations - thanks for the Pics

Evening all

Who out here has experience with "split tails".  Before the rain got here today, I was overlooking the 4 Ks I held back and my #1 choice has suddenly got me worried.  He's 10 months old, seems to be lacking his main sickle feathers still, but his tail suddenly looks "parted"

Will this change as those mail sickles come in?  I HOPE!!??

Would really be a bummer at this point, BUT, don'r want to introduce a problem either

Thanks

I'll try to get pix tomorrow after the rain from this tropical storm lets up

if there are feathers missing it will look split.

W

DRAGONLADY (I feel like a yelling Kermit the frog) Does my memory serve we well in that you had a trick for putting a little conditioning into a bird after washing them?

I'm going to wash Dorkings for the first time tomorrow. I'm going to go the Tide with bleach alternative route, but I thought I remembered you discussing something to do post-wasg that return oils or what not. Am I right there?

if there are feathers missing it will look split.

W

Thanks Walt......gives me a glimmer of hope. I REALLY like him, so I'm hoping that as the missing feathers grow in his tail will be proper.....it was a bit shocking to see tonight as I've never had a K or cockbird with a split tail and he really looked odd. Was praying that last years breeding pens had not turned up some recessive gene

Yellow House if you keep on posting your very beautiful chickens I may have to buy some from you!!!!

I like you Dorkings, Yellow House.

Who wouldn't ?

Which one are you going to send to me? :)

Thanks everyone! It's been a long haul, and there's still much...much further to go.

These were all out of one house. Here's a pic from earlier this season when they were younger yet:

Out of just shy of 40 there were 6 that I've retained. I have another 35 or so coming up that were hatched later. I'll keep another group out of those and then well see who will actually go on as breeders. Those from the above group that didn't make the cut:

At least the culls are tasty...because there are a lot of them.

Jeremy, I saw a pic of one of your pullets that looked pretty sweet. I'm very glad you're working with them. Your skills are clearly seen in your other lines. Perhaps we'll swap cocks in a few years when everyone's doing what they should....ish...

WOAH......

This looks like a lot of work!! Tasty, but tedious???

LL

DRAGONLADY (I feel like a yelling Kermit the frog) Does my memory serve we well in that you had a trick for putting a little conditioning into a bird after washing them?

I'm going to wash Dorkings for the first time tomorrow. I'm going to go the Tide with bleach alternative route, but I thought I remembered you discussing something to do post-wasg that return oils or what not. Am I right there?

Joseph-
Scrub legs/feet first....then after washing with the Tide, you can add Downy softener to the rinse water for a nice finish to the feathers. Some like to add some white vinegar to the first tub rinse after the Tide cleansing...then you could of course do the Downy as well. I think it is always best if you have a wash sink with a faucet/spiggot so the rinsing can be as clean as possible...and of course warm water is appreciated by the birds (-;

WOAH......

This looks like a lot of work!! Tasty, but tedious???

LL

You know, once you get the hang of it, it's really quite alright. We have found that everything--absolutely everything--is a bout set-up and flow. The right tools, everything in place, the right scald, music playing in the back ground and friends who want to play. A couple of friends over to help makes it a really fun visit, and we're more than happy to send them some with some birds for the pleasure they bring to the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom