Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hear is a old time breed that's in my old time standard. Partridge Cochin.

This was a female of a great class of Cochins at Lucasville. Maybe some of you who went to this Great So. Ohio Show
saw her. The need help in all colors they don't lay very well, they got meat on their bones and they are very attractive to look at.

Speaking of wing bands, I would like to wing band chicks next year but am confounded by the different versions of wing bands. I've got large fowl birds. Does anyone have preferences/comments/recommendations regarding which type/brand of wing band to use? Especially for someone doing the wing banding alone, with no assistance?

Sarah
I need to do that this week...I forgot about them until now. The wing bands are SO much easier to use than leg bands on chicks. Easy to do by yourself, just grab a seat or a tree trunk, sit down and put the legs between your knees and clip it in with the banding pliers. I use whatever is cheapest initially, but I do think I will start color banding as well to help keep track of them by sight instead of looking up each number individually.

This was a female of a great class of Cochins at Lucasville. Maybe some of you who went to this Great So. Ohio Show
saw her. The need help in all colors they don't lay very well, they got meat on their bones and they are very attractive to look at.
Beautiful PR. My PRs look nothing like this. they are pretty but this bird is stunning
love.gif

Bob, I am so happy to see this lovely picture of a Cochin in any color, but especially a Partridge! I've never seen one live and in person. A fellow keeper has a pair of Black Cochins I gave her as chicks that turned out fairly nice, and she has offered to loan/give them back to me as soon as I have space for them. I had intended to keep another pair I raised that were splash, but was not happy with the way they matured, so I sold them to someone who just wanted them as part of her flock. I adore this breed, and have often thought I would like to add them to my flock next year or the following. The one hen I had (taken by a loose dog, defending the RIR chick she was raising) was an absolute delight. I have since thought that when I was ready I'd be contacting NanaKat for some.

Art Manley had great LF Partridge Cochins back in the day. I had some of his birds in the 70's.

Walt

Zippy is a good wing band. You got to get a hand held bander to go to the band of choice. Maybe Joseph will tell us his band and hand held bander he bought.

Does not hurt the chick. This is the big problem people have has they think they are humans. Also, nice bands with number on them. I have red white and blue bands in color on my three family's of birds. It has worked for me for years. It also takes good record keeping. You got to make notes on these birds for today and future breeding. http://www.randallburkey.com/Wing-Bands/products/31/

Thanks for the info, Bob.

Sometimes I wonder about the people who decry toe punching and wing banding because it hurts the chicks. Well yeah, maybe for a second or two. But many of those same people don't think twice about having their kid's ears pierced. Just saying...

Sarah

This is normal for people who are this web site if you polled 1,000 people about wing banding they would say heavens no. You would have to inject them first with Lidocain ilk the dentist does in your mouth before having your teeth worked on and half of them would say no to toe punching.

I once read in a old poultry book from the 1940s when it came to caponizing a male bird their brains are built in such a way they did not feel the pain. I ignored this as I have no need to caponize but maybe there is something to that in the make up of the fowl pain or brain mechanize. Biggest problems for folks converting over to Standard Breed Chickens and they way we do things is they do not know that this is the methods that has been done for over 100 years by the very people that developed these old breeds.

These folks are farmers. They don't give their steers or pigs sedatives or pain killers before they castrated them or dehorned them. To many people treat farm animials like humans. You should hear people talk about me on my inbreeding sons back to mothers and daughters back to fathers. They think I am that bad guy from Germany in the 1940s.

Yes the Cochins are a lovey bird. I never owned any but I know a guy who has about 20 of the females for sitting hens for his Peacock flock in the mid west. He puts the eggs under the sitting hens for ten days then puts his fertile eggs in his Lehy wooden incubators. All this work but he gets a 20% improved hatch.

Walt Mr. Art Manly was the king of Cochins in the old days on the West Coast. NUFF SAID

Last edited:
I wing band the birds that I grow out for myself.... Err try to this summer I worked during the night, slept during the day, and the hens got rather broody on me. I did not expect them to hatch chicks. Sussex hens don't really go "broody" but they get a state like they are broody and don't tend to hatch eggs just set on them.

I band my birds before six weeks of age, normally between 1-2 weeks so I can track weight at two week intervals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom