Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The disadvantage with your breeds is that some judges don't look at them with class champion in mind and it is a risk if they don't know them well....so they will go with something they know. Not knocking judges, but this is human nature.

Yeah, I have been to those learning sessions. They are learning experiences in more ways than one....but truly worth while as a poultry learning experience.

Who are you clerking for? I'll have them keep you in line.
Walt

I'm not sure yet about the Congress. I'm clerking with Erik Nelson in RI, Jeff Halbach in Boston, and Lou Cunningham in Ohio. I haven't figured Congress out yet, Maybe Clell Agler or Jamie Carson.

I'm not sure yet about the Congress. I'm clerking with Erik Nelson in RI, Jeff Halbach in Boston, and Lou Cunningham in Ohio. I haven't figured Congress out yet, Maybe Clell Agler or Jamie Carson.
Joseph,
I sure wouldn't mind being in your shoes for those clerking assignments. NICE.
I'm a bit green with envy, I must confess....what a wonderful experience it will be on many levels!

I'm actually really excited for the opportunities. I very much enjoy clerking. One always walks away with greater depth of knowledge as well as new practices that enhance one's husbandry or assessment.

I'm actually really excited for the opportunities. I very much enjoy clerking. One always walks away with greater depth of knowledge as well as new practices that enhance one's husbandry or assessment.
I would even like to be on your farm when you line up the cages.....I can't see the difference in any of your birds.....I need to be taught to "see"

I would even like to be on your farm when you line up the cages.....I can't see the difference in any of your birds.....I need to be taught to "see"

Interestingly Ocap, the gentleman I mentioned above Don Castle specializes in Australorps (one doesn't need to add "Black"; it's like "mottled" Anconas) and Buff Brahmas. If I see by your tag that those are your two breeds, he's a great resource. Here's his website: Cross Road Poultry. Check it out WALT and BOB you might like his site, too.

Dan isn't going to be at Ohio but he is going to be at the ABA National and I'm certain he'll be clerking at the Congree/APA national, too.

Otherwise, OCAP, attend as many shows (not random fairs--APA/ABA sanctioned events) as possible. Volunteer for set-up and break down; it's there where you get to know everyone and make valuable connections. Volunteer to clerk whenever possible!!

Is "clerking" when one follows the judge and fills out the coop cards? Is there more paperwork involved? Do you have to know what you are doing, or will the judge tell you what to write down? Is there such a thing as a "clerk in training?" I would love to do this and I'm great with documentation, but I would be an absolute noob.

This is the best way to learn birds. Do you plan to be an apprentice? Funny story....I had this guy on facebook critiquing a bird I posted. He posted some kind of strange remarks about the bird and mentioned he was in the ABA judging program. So....I told him that I will be giving him his judging test.........hahahaha It's the old thing about you never know who you are talking to, so be careful what you say online.

Walt

Last little piece of advice: If you ask for advice, take it. Poultry folk are very quick to notice if someone doesn't accept knowledge and act on it. I often talk with newcomers or witness others talking to newcomers that ask a question and then, when the response is one that would imply that there should be a systems change, the new-comer starts to justify the reason for which what is going on is "necessary". The eyes of the poultry person simply glaze over. Why bother having a conversation that leads no where? I know I do it right away. I smile, and wish them good luck and then walk away.

(I'm not directing this to you personally just as a general statement of what not to do. Once one establishes a reputation for being an arguing-learner those worth talking to turn right around when they see that person coming.) If one takes one piece of advice and applies it dutifully. The next time one gets three or four. Once one sees that there's actual progress, it's like a flood gate of community investment in your project, and in one hour you get more advice than you can follow in 1/2 a decade.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom