Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ocap
Bob stated where I think I currently am.
I need to wait and try and understand all that I have come across since:

8. purchased the best Buff Brahma large fowl I could find
now I need to pause and wait to see if my eyes and brain can apply what I have read.
=====================
Hi,
I don't know what color Buff your Brahma are... however,
this is a great collection of info on breeding Buff
assembled by a Master Breeder of Buff poultry. Maybe something here to help?
BUFF COLORATION IN POULTRY 2007 BY D.J.HONOUR
http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/Buff-Coloration.pdf ( read free online)
from another website:

HONOUR’S POULTRY BOOKS
By Danne J. Honour 2013
I have updated my poultry books for 2013. I should say e-books
as they are now too many pages to print on paper.So they are
available on CD’s as word file docx format. These are greatly
expanded editions with pictures and additional text. They contain
great poultry history and breeding advice by the masters as well as
fine illustrations. Much of the information I have gathered from
my own poultry library collection, some I have written, but fear
it may be lost if I do not make it available to those interested .
For a very limited time I will be selling these on CD –all
4 e-books for $50 plus $5 shipping.
(Checks or Money Orders)
Dan Honour,8
Old North Road, Apt. A ,
Amenia ,New York 12501 .
AMERICAN BREEDS OF SPANISH ANCESTRY 2013 ,
1348 pages , many devoted to Minorcas.
BUFF COLORATION 2013 1126 pages ,all about
buff color breeding in chickens.
ART OF BREEDING 2013 ,608 pages,many good
general ,showing and breeding articles.
Wonderful articles on Anconas, Dark Brown Leghorns ,
Long tailed fowls, and much more.
THOUGHTS ON WHITE LEGHORNS 2013 ,229 pages
just on the popular White Leghorn , more towards the
exhibition side than commercial, but some good practical
information .

Last edited:
Then do what I did. Find a breed you like and buy the best quality you can find. Then enjoy your birds
and spend time improving the tiny details, not the major faults. Or just hold the line on a top quality line.
The top lines need conservers the same way the needy lines need preservers. Did the "big genetic
experiment" in collies for 15 years. It worked out very well. However, now I just want to work on the
small details. Fine tune the beauty someone else has already created. Nothing wrong with that.
You might even want to get some high quality birds from a top show line 500 miles from yourself.
Then enjoy them. Because of the different methods of raising individuals use and the large distance,
... several generations down the road...if the original breeder ever needs new blood, he/she could
source from your flock. Those factors would make the mating seem like a limited outcross, despite
the fact they originated from the same flock. You enjoy your birds and do the breed/breeder a favor too.
Best,
Karen
" A thing of beauty is a joy forever".
unknown

FYI, this is off-topic, but your quote is from a poem by John Keats called "Endymion."

Careful lawatt, women are suckers for men who know their poetry.........just sayin'.........
tongue.png

FYI, this is off-topic, but your quote is from a poem by John Keats called "Endymion."
Yes, thank you!
http://poemhunter.com/poem/a-thing-of-beauty-endymion/

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever:
Its lovliness increases; it will never
Pass into nothingness; but still will keep
A bower quiet for us, and a sleep
Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing.

Definition of BOWER

an attractive dwelling or retreat

a lady's private apartment in a medieval hall or castle

a shelter (as in a garden) made with tree boughs or vines twined together : arbor

The 3rd def. make such a lovely visual picture.

Last edited:
What a neat little book. Includes how to choose high quality horse breeds which are now extinct. Covers how to select many breeds of poultry we discuss here. ( No Sussex, nuts! ) Interesting history. As such, any medical or management care info is always highly suspect unless verified by identical modern info.

Col. Horn's handy book on how to pick high bred horses, cattle, sheep, hogs and poultry; (1910)
http://archive.org/details/colhornshandyboo00horn

There are a bazillion books out there on how to raise baby chicks. As always, the methods in old lit should be verified by modern info. What caught my interest in this time was the articles were written by breeders and are breed specific to many breeds we discuss here. Alas, still no Sussex.
Secrets of success with baby chicks
Published 1921 by The A. D. Hosterman company in Springfield, Ohio .
http://archive.org/stream/secretsofsuccess00cory#page/n65/mode/2up

Last edited:
Just because. I've finally settle on using Zip wing bands. Going to follow the honey bee queen tracking. So birds born 2013 will have red bands on the left wing. Next year, green bands on the right wing. By the time there's a repeat, birds born in 2013 will be 10 yrs old. If any are breeding rather than stew at that point, ya'll will know, 'cause they'll be famous. Ha!

Been debating it to myself and one this and other threads for a while. Settled. Will track until banding with the sports wrap.

Just because. No one really wants to know, but you can't make me unpost it. Right?
hide.gif

The loss of Bob Blosl is a tremendous loss to the poultry fancy, he will be truly missed. May God keep and comfort his family during this time of loss.

Bo

I am deeply saddened.
I was blessed to have known him so well in his last days. I will never look at poultry the same.

We wrote a great newsletter last month together.

Glenis

BOb is the one who pulled me from hatchery to heritage. I will forever be grateful for his tireless effort to help this newbie understand what a heritage chicken really it. I made it because of BOb. RIIP and fly free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom